Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding sun visors

Chevyman for life

Has anyone added sunvisors to a header that was had a non sunvisor header on a 59 thru 62?

Are the brackets for the two visor holes on the frame piece regardless of the stainless cover or are they different frames? If the brackets are there I could drill in the right places and screw them on.

Has anyone tried to just drill the stainless and mount the visor? I would think this might be kind of "iffy" if they are used a lot. By the way, the window posts in the car I'm restoring are the correct for the visors, just not the header so they have the screw holes.

I notice that the headers are often listed as for 56 - 58 and 59 -62. Are they interchangeable? If not is it just cosmetic? Some people advertise as if they were the same.

Still need help on my other thread a few entries down on the installation.

Thanks,

Gerry ;help

Gerry,

I did this to my '59. You have to buy the sunvisor equipped header as the non-visor header does NOT have the inserts inside that you screw the visor hardware to.

I bought mine from the woman out west; I can't remember her name right now, but I picked it up when she was at Carlisle. THey can get a little pricey; I paid US$ 350 for mine approx 5 - 6 years ago. When I balked at the price she said: "You've got to buy the whole car to get when, they don't repro them".

I'm not sure about what years fit what cars, but that could be true about '59 - 62 being interchangeable, but not with earlier years. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Bernie O.

You probably bought the part from Mary Jo.

That's correct - Mary Jo Rohner, I believe

Many "Bubba" installations over the years just used trim screws into drilled holes in the non-visor header molding for the inboard screws, which came loose and usually stripped out the holes. If you JB-Weld machine nuts on the back side of the molding after you locate and drill the inboard holes, you can use the correct machine-threaded screws and won't have any problems. Just as effective, and lots cheaper than hunting down a "visor" molding with the nut plates on the back.

:beer

can you post a picture, i need to get to mine someday.
thanks, rick

Many "Bubba" installations over the years just used trim screws into drilled holes in the non-visor header molding for the inboard screws, which came loose and usually stripped out the holes. If you JB-Weld machine nuts on the back side of the molding after you locate and drill the inboard holes, you can use the correct machine-threaded screws and won't have any problems. Just as effective, and lots cheaper than hunting down a "visor" molding with the nut plates on the back.

:beer
I paid dearly to get my header repaired so that you can't see those ugly holes......

I like the look better without them too. If I need a visor I'll put on a hat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom