Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advice on a 2008 C6 Purchase

JeffW

Corvette
Hi Guys,
looking at buying a 2008 C6. The car appears immaculate with 14,000 miles but I heard a noise when cornering and had the owner take to the dealer to have checked out. Something going on with the rear end spiders and clutch packs. Fortunately she has an extended warranty and a new rear end is being put in the car. So that being said what are the chances of a major problem like this occurring on a supposedly little old lady car and should I be afraid of purchasing this vehicle? I own a 64 and can work on anything on that one... This C6 intimidates the hell out of me and this just scares me a bit.
Thanks for any advice, Jeff

What you are describing sounds like the rear end needs some positrac additive! But I'm no expert. Truly, I don't think I'd worry too much about other things.

Dealer is actually replacing the rear end so I guess there was a big problem........

JeffW

Some things make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the was a TSB issued for 2007 and 2008 C6's that involved nothing more than a change of differential fluid do to sticking clutch packs. The clutches chattered, the car hitched, and grinding noise like the rear end was coming undone. 30 minutes and 2 bottles of Dexron problem gone. That was at 10k miles for me, now have 26k and never another issue. Had two coworkers one with an 07 one with an 08 both had the same issue and results.

They wound up putting in a pair of clutch packs in it and and an oil pan gasket. $2300 bucks later it's a real sweetheart and now in my garage. Lucky the owner had an extended GM warranty that covered all of it. Thanks for the responses.
Jeff

Posi- Moves

Having owned older Vettes before and experiencing sometimes those chatter sounds and jerki-movements especially backing up or turning it has always been a Vette thing. Yes I have had the posi-fluid changed and it goes away, pretty much, but I think it is an inherent way of life with these cars or any others with posi-tractions. I bought my latest Vette last year, a 2008 Base Coupe and it did have those symptoms but always have disappeared after driving it for let's say 10 miles or so, nothing bothersome, just backing out of the garage into the driveway and street, I have experienced those sounds and moves, but after it has gone away. I did think of having the positraction serviced on my next visit, maybe I should. Just thought I'd put my experience on the table. Thanks Guys ( I also have the extended warranty, so I'll be able to sleep after reading this thread :))

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom