Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advice on Brakes for a 65 (Non power brakes, single master cylinder)

rohard

Corvette
2014 Z51 Coupe and 08 Cooksey ZO6
Need some advice in two areas, as a new C2 owner.
First, I have a leak in the right rear wheel cylinder (disc brakes). Minor leak, but dobt that it will get better with age. Can I order the wheel cylinder kits, and have a regular (Firestone or Goodyear as example) do the work? Or do I need to take it to a Corvette restorer. The brake system (external) looks fairly new, the hoses are black, show no cracks. the lines look good, I would say the previous owner had the system rebuilt with in the last 2 or 3 years, by looking at it. Understand this is an endimic problem with the early c-2's, but it is a safety issue I do not want to ignore. (I think I heard that brake fluid will not damage the tires.)
Second question, is there an after market (say a 66) double master cylinder that can be retrofitted. It looks like the front and rear brakes feed off a tee just below the master cylinder, so that part should be easy. Is there anything special in the linkage or mounting that would cause a problem. Is this something that can (or should) be done for safety? (PS, I bought this car to drive, not as an investment, I want safe, dependable, doesn't need to pass NCRS standards.) Thanks in advance.:confused

I thought the double master cylinder came out in 65.(not sure) Anyway, my 65 has the double master cylinder with power brakes. I had a brake cylinder start leaking as well, but I just bought a new one from Corvette Central (free catalog and they are on line too) and installed it.

:w

Yes, its a very, very good idea to have a double master cylinder for safety reasons. One leak in your system could mean no brakes at all, in a double master cylinder scenario, you could lose your front brakes and still have some braking ability with your rear. And the way these 65 cylinders leak from time to time, it would be prudent to install a double master cylinder.

Montana said:
Yes, its a very, very good idea to have a double master cylinder for safety reasons. One leak in your system could mean no brakes at all, in a double master cylinder scenario, you could lose your front brakes and still have some braking ability with your rear. And the way these 65 cylinders leak from time to time, it would be prudent to install a double master cylinder.

Agree, but I am told that double MC's were not standard till 66. (I have the shop manuals (63 and 65 supplement), and it only talks about single MC in the non power brake section.) You indicated that yours was a double, with PB's? I assume it was retrofitted? Clearly looks like a high priority, as long as it doesn't turn into major mechanical issue. How is the warning of a failure of one side covered in your car? (There is apparently a warning light in the 66 and later C-2's, I assume?):D

rohard said:
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for, and saved hours of google.:upthumbs

Glad to help out and Welcome aboard.:beer

I have my 65 Vette in getting brakes done as we speak. I had a leak in the front left caliper and they are just going to rebuild it. There are stainless rebuild kits for those calipers. And it is the local Firestone dealer, but this one happens to be a performance shop as well.

I think the rest covered the mst cyl conversion.

Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom