Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advice Req #2: Rear Wings for 82 Style Tail

WayneLBurnham

Corvette
'75 Modified Red Ragtop: "LEFTLN"
Hey again!

While I am getting replies to my wheel request..... :)

Planning on doing the tires/wheels, have the top put on I've waited forever until I scared myself silly I'd screw it up...:), swapping out a few of my digital gauge-o-rama so everything that isn't multicolored is red (& swap one A/F gauge for an exh pyro & add one of the newer gauge type accelerometers (if I can get them to switch the housings)), and getting a real cheap 2 year paint job....

The other in this "mid point completion stage" is picking a rear wing to add a little more downforce.

Now I did not notice the rear getting light at all in three near 170 runs (ended up being 168! :( The stupid GV transducer had fried and the regular electronic speed sender temporarily rigged/slaved gives weird signal when the OD is actually on, so I had to go by the tach and had miscalced the point! :((

I am probably being helped by the '82 style tail, the huge tunnel undercar air can route up through through the rear vents which are vestigial remnants of the old astroair system (you can drop sections of 2x4 through them!), and by the full VBP rear suspension which does not let the tires camber or caster in much even when the rear end is lifted some. I probably am also being helped by the 3" clearance my deep oil pan and deep tranny pan has to the ground - the first one is even armored! :)

Too many have reported this phenomena though for me to not believe it, although primarily in the early 70's models.

Again, this is not styling - I don't like the looks of any of them at all. I have seen the various ones in the big vette catalog houses - there seems to be three or four variations. I have the 82 style rear tail.

Besides this I will add some neat-o better front air damn, like one I saw maybe 6-8 months ago that was spring loaded to minimize hits, but I am concerned with the wing especially to add before painting.

Has anyone used any of these? Does anyone have any idea if they are effective or just decoration?

Oh - and don't even recommend any of the Greenwood package. I know they work - but they are unobtainium. I called them about a year ago asking for a special run of more C3's. They said they were working on a C6 set and considering feathering even the C4 kits! They said the C3 molds had even been destroyed. (I don't get that - why bother doing that? They should be gunmakers for trashing the ability to remake popular designs....) Used Greenwood whole kits command silly prices too.

So any wing choices anyone can recommend? (Yes I want matching fiberglass and not some triple-decker blinger aluminum number...no....no polished rivets, neon tubes and imbedded LED's need apply....)

Thanks again.

WayneLBurnham said:
The other in this "mid point completion stage" is picking a rear wing to add a little more downforce.

Now I did not notice the rear getting light at all in three near 170 runs (ended up being 168! :( The stupid GV transducer had fried and the regular electronic speed sender temporarily rigged/slaved gives weird signal when the OD is actually on, so I had to go by the tach and had miscalced the point! :((

I am probably being helped by the '82 style tail, the huge tunnel undercar air can route up through through the rear vents which are vestigial remnants of the old astroair system (you can drop sections of 2x4 through them!), and by the full VBP rear suspension which does not let the tires camber or caster in much even when the rear end is lifted some. I probably am also being helped by the 3" clearance my deep oil pan and deep tranny pan has to the ground - the first one is even armored! :)

I had more problems with the front than the rear on my '78. I didn't have the front PC spoiler... so 100mph+ runs became kinda like navigating a motorboat if there was a little curve in the road.

My $.02- I'd stay away from the rear wing. The pinch before the bumper doesn't aesthetically support a wing.

A solid front / rear suspension combo will help keep the car on the ground. Additionally, when it comes to air folow, the aerodynamics on the front end will make or break the performance first. I don't remember what the drag coefficiant for the 80-82 Vettes were, but it wasn't bad at all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom