Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

After market CD player "hot" & "ground" to access point?

vette_man62

Corvette
1998 Silver Coupe
I am replacing my bose head unit and was wondering if I can wire the "hot" and "ground" wire from the new head unit to the ACCESS POINT located under the cup holders in my 94. Just curious if anyone knows if this is a "clean" power source and also curious if anyone has done this.
Thanks!
T

It depends on how much the HU draws and if you plan on using the power point. My HU requires a 20 amp feed to it. Check the manual of the HU and it should recommend what to feed it with. If you use the power point to feed the HU you probably won't be able to use the power point without blowing fuses.

89vert said:
It depends on how much the HU draws and if you plan on using the power point. My HU requires a 20 amp feed to it. Check the manual of the HU and it should recommend what to feed it with. If you use the power point to feed the HU you probably won't be able to use the power point without blowing fuses.

Thanks for the info! My head unit pulls about 15 amps so it should be ok.

I believe the owner's manual has a blurb on how much current the accessory leads can handle. For my 92 it's 10A for either the switched or unswitched lead. I think these leads were designed for small accessories like cell phones and such.

Finding a 15-20A switched source could be an issue. Hopefully you'll get your answer in the Audio section.

I think you are right but you will want to check the fuse that feeds the power point circuit. Also you won't be able to use the power point without blowing fuses.Tim

Just thought of something. Is the power point a switched power source. Make sure to check that.

There should be two leads in addition to ground. One is switched with the ignition the other is always hot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom