Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket wheels for '87...Ideas?

I

IndyPaceCar78

I'm contemplating some after market rims for my '87.

Would love to get some input, suggestions, likes, dislikes from the gang... I really don't care for the stock rims that cam on it too much. As for ease of cleaning, thats the only like! Any prices would be great too! I'm inclined to get something in chrome to make the shiny black convertible stand out!

Thanks for input

Indy,
I've been looking into new rims for my '87 for a couple of weeks. It's actually a much larger undertaking than I imagined. You have to decide what size rims you want to begin with, and what size tires your looking for, and will fit. The cost is going to be determined by what size and finish you want. Chrome is more expensive. Also do you want it to be a performance rim? 2, 3 piece? They are lighter and stronger. There are lots of choices! Do you want the rim to be a direct fit? Are you willing to use those fitments to open up the variety and choice for design?

A couple of good search points I have found are;

http://www.tirerack.com

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/

Erik

Wheels

I'm kinda lookin myself. I don't mind the stock wheels, but I really like the 5 spoke chrome ZR1 type wheels. I'm pretty sure I can get them to fit with 275zr45 17s. If I upgrade the brakes to 13" rotors I'll have to go with 17" rims. Good luck on your search.
--Drew:w

Check out my car by clicking here. I just bought this car and I first I wasn't too thrilled with the rims it came with. But, everyone really likes them and they're growing on me too. They're made by ROH...

P.S. Scroll down toward the bottom to get a really good close-up look at a rim...

Hey, Sal - off the wheel topic, but I believe your color is Silver Beige Metallic (code 59) and your interior is bronze rather than brown (well, it SOUNDS better, at least). Bronze, according to my book, was only available with four different exterior colors so you either got lucky (rarity) or unlucky.

And what's with those tiny tailpipes? :)

[RICHR]

hey Rich.

by any chance do you know the color of my 87? it's not torch red or burgundy i'd like to know the name of the color

Thanks!

I've posted this web site before... www.afswheels.com Check them out. I will be getting mine next month. Can't wait to get those 17x11 meats on my vette. I've done a lot of research on this topic, I've been looking for 6 months. You can't beat their price for the wheel/tire combo. If someone knows of a better price on a combo let me know!!!

Mike

RRubel, you're exactly right. I came to that conclusion this morning. And I know!!!! What the HELL was somebody thinking when they put on those tailpipes? Isn't that robbing me of about 2000 horses? :p

I really like the ZR1 style myself. In chrome. And they come with a 38mm offset to fit your 87. Ive been seeing the new Z06 style wheel now and then on a C4 and it is starting to look pretty good. Tough choice. Good luck.

Re: hey Rich.

Mad-Mic said:
by any chance do you know the color of my 87? it's not torch red or burgundy i'd like to know the name of the color

Probably Dark Red Metallic, code 74. There was a thread about a month ago on how to find the color codes on the build sticker.

[RICHR]

RE: Hey Mike

Mike,
You mentioned you were going to get 17 X 11 ZR1's for your car. The AFS web site does have some great deals, I've looked myself. Another site you may want to check is

www.performancewheeloutlet.com

I don't know if it's better pricing and I don't know anyone who has ordered from it. Just another site to gather information!
Erik

Eric,
Thanks!! I will check it out right now. I don't think I've been to that one yet.

Mike

Does anyone know if moving to 285 tires all around will cause any ill effects? They shouldn't rub on and '87 coupe should they?

The other thing I was wondering was if you switch tire and rim sizes the camber and casters will need to be reset. Does anyone know how to find this information out?

Indy I know you started this thread but it has opened up a bunch of questions for myself as well! And since we both have 87's it should help!
Erik

Iv'e got BBS 17x10 and 275's on my car and the right front does rub at full lock turning right and backingup. so my guess is that 285's will be worse but should be livable.

Ernie,
Great looking rims! I've been looking at the BBS as well. Big $$ is my drawback! But you never know ... What's the profile of your 275 17's? I'm looking at going with an 18" rim with a 35 profile.
Erik

Eric

The prices are not too bad but the tire selection is poor. I'm not fond of any tires they had to choose from. Also they did not list back spacing info or off set info. 84 to 87 vettes have a different back spacing and off set than do 88 to 96 vettes. This info is important if you want the rims to look right on the car.

Several important things to remember about AFS. Free shipping, mounted, balanced, center caps, lug nuts with a good set of tires and the correct off set and back spacing for your year. All for approx $1600. So for now, I will still go with them.

You should not effect your castor or camber by changing rim or tire size, but is recommended that you get an alignment after you put new tires on, just to protect your invetment.

Mike

They are 275x 40 x 17
tire rack says the 35's in 18 inch are about the same overall size

But as soon as you go from a 17 to an 18 rim size tire Bring your wallet, its about to gain by a 1/3 also if your going to Slalom your car I wouldnt have tires rubbing. (IMHO) (Because I enjoy racing of all sorts not just drag)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom