Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Compressor Ideas?

K

kdlp

I'm getting ready to drop somewhere between $500 and $750 on an air compressor. I'd like at least 10 cfm at 90 PSI... anyone care to do a little coaching, advising, etc.?

Thanks,

kdlp

WOW... 10 cfm at 90 psi... For that requirement any compressor that you are looking at will not be portable. Movable yes.... portable NO....

I am a big fan of Coleman... I have found that when they get into a market, they tend to be higher quality. My requirements were: 110 V, Portable, over 5.5 cfm at 90 psi, maintenance free. I bought one like this: This will run most everything I own.

[font=arial,helvetica]MODEL NO.[/font][font=arial,helvetica]CL0602712[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]Max Pressure 95-125 psi [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]CFM @ 40 PSI = [/font][font=arial,helvetica]7.7 [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]CFM @ 90 [/font][font=arial,helvetica]PSI = 6.0[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]MOTOR [/font][font=arial,helvetica]6 Peak HP [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]VOLTAGE/AMPS [/font][font=arial,helvetica]120 / 230 [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]AIR TANK [/font][font=arial,helvetica]27 Gallons [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]PUMP [/font][font=arial,helvetica]Oilfree, Drirect Drive [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]WEIGHT[/font][font=arial,helvetica]160 lbs. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]LIMITED WARRANTY[/font][font=arial,helvetica]2 year[/font]

CL0602712_350.jpg

In hindsight.... the beltless and oilfree version IS VERY NOISY! I THINK I WOULD CONSIDER ONE WITH A BELT AND OIL NEXT TIME. I bought the maintenance free one because I work on a project like mad for a couple weeks..... then never use it for a couple months.

I looked at Coleman's site and found:
[font=arial,helvetica]MODEL NO.[/font][font=arial,helvetica]CL7006016 [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]MAX PRESSURE[/font][font=arial,helvetica]100 - 130 PSI [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]CFM @ 40 PSI = [/font][font=arial,helvetica]12.3 [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]CFM @ 90 PSI = [/font][font=arial,helvetica]10.3 [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]MOTOR [/font][font=arial,helvetica]7 Peak HP [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]VOLTAGE/AMPS [/font][font=arial,helvetica]208 / 230 [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]AIR TANK [/font][font=arial,helvetica]60 Gallons [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]PUMP [/font][font=arial,helvetica]Oil Lubricated, Belt Drive [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]WEIGHT [/font][font=arial,helvetica]217 lbs. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]LIMITED WARRANTY [/font][font=arial,helvetica]2 year [/font]

Very nice

CL7006016_350.jpg

Hope this helps,

Air Compressor

I found that Home Depot has a good selection at a fair price.

The unfortunate part of that (Home Depot) is that the closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away by Boeing 737....

kdlp

kdlp said:
The unfortunate part of that (Home Depot) is that the closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away by Boeing 737....

kdlp

So I guess going to Sears for Craftsman would be out of the way as well? :D

I use a Craftsman for the garage and a small portable one inside the house. The small one is from Home Depot and if I recall correctly, it's a Husky.

I'm partial to craftsman; use their air compressor and hand tools almost exclusively.

Just to echo what another said. The oil-free types are very very noisy. Also, because the pump runs at relatively high rpm ... they will not live as long as the others.

I have an 80's era Kellogg American-CompAir # 335. True 5 hp 220v motor runs at about 1750 rpm and oil-filled 2-Stage heavy iron pump runs about 700 rpm through belt-reduction ... delivers about 17 cfm at about 175 psi ... all rather quietly ... but it definately ain't moveable ... nearly as heavy as a car motor. You can find a good used or reconditioned one like it around here for about $1500. This is the sort you find at many tire stores/commercial garages ... they live a LONG, reliable life.

The typical $250-$500 Sears units are oil-free ... usually both pump & motor run above 3000 rpm ... very noisy ... relatively short life.
JACK:gap
-edit- I've seen some decent looking units at WalMart in the $500-$750 range ... made by Campbell-Hausfield ... they were 2-stage, iron pump, oil-filled, belt drive ... probably meet your performance spec ... but rather heavy and not portable ... intended stationary mount. Just guessing that outside mount in Alaska's cold may not be too good for any compressor ... so noise level may be an important factor. There's probably a commercial compressor/forklift sales service company in your area ... might be worth a call to their techs for tips/advice

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom