Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Conditioner Drip

ITLSCOOT

Corvette
2001 Yellow Convertible
Cool water dripped on my wife's left foot in the passenger floor area while running the AC. I checked the drain tube eariler this year and it appeared clear. Any suggestions?

I don't have an answer for you, but welcome to the CAC! :CAC

Someone will be along with a suggestion shortly.

ITLSCOOT said:
Cool water dripped on my wife's left foot in the passenger floor area while running the AC. I checked the drain tube eariler this year and it appeared clear. Any suggestions?

If it's not driping on the ground in front of the firewall when you shut off the car (like in the garage), then the drain is most likely pluged. A pluged drain tube is the most likely reason for the foot and carpet getting wet on the passenger side.
:beer :w

ITLSCOOT said:

Your a/c evaporator condensation drain (rubber elbow) is clogged. You must fix it immediately or you can ruin the car's main computer which is located in the passenger footwell.

This happended to me while driving my 1999 C5 on a vacation trip. It ruined the computer and immobilized the car for five days.

Here is a link with pictures: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1069597

Raise the right front of the car (use jackstands....) while the engine is completely cool. Remove the rubber elbow from underneath the car (it is imposible to remove from above) by reaching behind the right engine head and exhaust manifold and pulling off the 90-degree rubber elbow (which is the diameter of a finger).

It may help to use a small screwdriver tack-puller type tool if the elbow is stuck on the plastic nipple which protrudes through the firewall.

Clean out the rubber elbow. You will probably find it is clogged with white, grainy or crusty material. Cut the small, pea-sized drain opening off (it is moulded at the end). Replace the drain elbow.

The rubber elbow is prone to clogging due to the very small opening. It does not drain fast enough during hot, humid weather and is a poor design (and very common during hot, humid weather).

This is easy to do if you take your time and have your engine cool (you hand will rest on the manifold and/or head while working). Only one hand will fit behind the engine to remove the rubber drain elbow.

Good luck - if you have any questions, please post them and I will try to help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom