Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AIR pump eliminator = more HP???

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Has anyone tried the AIR pump elimintaor available for the 85-91 TPI vette from Mid America? Did it feel like you got more HP. Anyone tested their car on a dyno before and after to see if it really gives more HP?

On paper it sounds like a good idea but I wanted to hear other peoples experiences before shelling out the dough.

All the best from Malc350 (Essex UK) Car: 1990 B2K Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette, black on black, 6-speed.

It does sound good and may give some additional power by not driving the pump but I would bet that you could not feel the difference in the seat of your pants. My "guess" would be 1-2 hp.

tom...

I have the eliminater. My motor is very modified and I'm not running any smog at all so i didnt need the AIR pump . To eliminate the air pump will not gain you much horsepower. To run the stock serpentine setup it is neccessay to have the eliminater if you are removing the system. i believe it is only a real benifit to the more modified engines.

ive heard the smog along with providing air to burn fuel in the cat also it is designed to help cool the cat as well, Ive disconnected smog pumps on my trans am before and never noticed any power gain however I did notice that they tend to sieze up real quik after they have been disconnected

topless82vette said:
... designed to help cool the cat as well

Nope. The air is utilized to provide oxygen to the catalytic converter in order to fire it off sooner. A cold cat will not benefit emissions any.

_ken :w

malc350 said:
<snip>Anyone tested their car on a dyno before and after to see if it really gives more HP?

snip>

I've done better than that: I've seen the flow curves for air injection pumps, and they consume a maximum of about one horspower or slightly more AT MAXIMUM FLOW. And they don't work all the time, so the power loss is variable. I don't recall the control logic though.

So restricting the airflow to your pump would have about the same effect as removing it. Gutting it is also an alternative: take it apart and remove the little vanes that pump the air - it'll still keep the belt tight, and will be much quieter!

You won't see any effect on acceleration, but your fuel economy should improve. Since your car only requires maybe 12 hp to drive it at 60 MPH, reducing the power loss by 1 hp is fairly significant.
Regards,
- R

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom