Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Alarm and Reverse lights on 1981 Corvette

FireMarshall

Corvette
Silver 1981 Coupe
Greetings. My name is Marshall and I'm completely new to Corvette owndership. I bought my very nicely restored 1981 Corvette a little over a week ago. I have two questions. First of all, it is my understanding that the car came with a factory alarm system. My car did not come with an owner's manual so I have no idea whether it works or not. How do I activate and operate it? Secondly, I have noticed that in reverse (it has a 4 speed manual transmission) the reverse lights flicker on and off. Am I accurate in assuming this would be a reverse switch and if so, where do I locate it?
Thank you for any guidance you can give me. I'm excited to finally be a Corvette owner.

1st of all...
Welcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy your new toy!!!!

2nd the alarm(if it works),will activate when the doors get locked.
IT MUST BE OPENED with the key ON THE DRIVERS SIDE to disarm it!!!!!
it will also not allow the vette to start!!!!!
to test if it works,roll the window down(drivers side),lock it,and then stick your hand in thru the window and open the door from the inside!
this should do things,1)the horns should start blowing in short bursts,and
2) the vette won't start..If this happens your alarm works,if not it does not work.
you can stop it if you have a quick disconnect on your battery,and unhooking your battery,or the solenoid in in the console,next to the ashtray (unhooking the battery is easier!!!)

do your self a favor and buy your self the AIM-Assembly Instruction Manual,an owners manual,and the factory service manual!!!!these are the bibles for building and repairing our vettes!!!!they can be had at any of the major parts vendors for corvettes...eg Mid-America,corvette central to name a few!!!!
as for the the reverse lights,mine come on my shifter(Auto) is in certain position!!! probably just an adjustment ,but I leave mine alone!

BTW,Be sure to check out the L-81 registry and register your '81!!!!!

Greetings Marshall and welcome,

The advice Bill gave you is right on the money. Get yourself this literature........very valuable.

You should have a back up light switch on the rear of your tranny. It is activated when you put the car in reverse. Check it for looseness where it bolts onto the tranny. Mine worked loose and I had the same problem. Re-adjusted and tightened and it works good as new.:thumb

Good luck.

Okay, so I've found out that my car alarm still works. I locked the doors and the driver's door closed to the point of shutting off the dome light but it didn't latch. When I pulled the door back open the alarm went off. Am I to understand that the only way to silence the alarm is to disconnect the battery cable? Thanks.

When you lock the driver's side door from outside, that activates the alarm. To de-activate it, unlock the driver's door from the outside.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom