Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All 1997 Owners

atmmac

Corvette
1997 Black Corvette
Need a quick favor. Go out and turn on your parking lights and see if the lights flip up. Mine flip up and my dealer told me this is normal but i dont believe it is. Just wanted to make sure i was correct on this. Thanks guys!

-Andy

No- mine don't do that. My lights only raise if I turn it to the headlight light setting.

However, my headlights will flash when I pull the dimmer back- they just don't raise. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

You may need to go in and check your configuration, just like you can disable the DRLs. I think you can set that yourself from the dash.

Thanks DarkShark! Appreciate the help im gonna go check it out after i finish this homework!

-Andy

The reason this is happening is because the light switch on the stick is wearing out. Pretty soon the lights will start to raise and lower by themselves. It's like $190 for the switch, wholesale. They give you the whole stick. This is exactly how it started on my 99. You've got about 2 months before the switch totally wears out. The reason your lights are going up when in the parking light position is because the switch can no longer tell what position it is in. If you move the switch very subtley, back or forward, you can get the lights to do what you want. Then use black electrical tape to keep the switch in that position. I had to do that because eventually my lights would flip up at night and kill my battery. The dealer was familiar with the situation. I can order parts wholesale so if you want, when it finally goes all the way let me know. Bring the part and tell the dealer to install it. That's what I always do. You'll end up saving $50, maybee $100. If anyone needs a crazy expensive part, let me know, I'll order it wholesale.

This has been like this since i got the car 1 yr ago. I dont understand why my dealer would tell me that this is normal. Im going to go there today and tell them that this is not normal operation.

Thanks for the help Pac Man
-Andy

atmmac said:
This has been like this since i got the car 1 yr ago. I dont understand why my dealer would tell me that this is normal. Im going to go there today and tell them that this is not normal operation.

-Andy
I second that.. my 97 lights only pop up when lights fully on... they don't go down unless I turn all the way off though, even when I put it on parking... maybe they are thinking of that?

You do have a problem.I could find no reference to that in my 97 factory manual and my headlights only rise and light when turned on,half way down on switch the headlights are off but raised,when off they lower. the end.I am an exception thou, In the 7yrs I've owned the car I've probably only driven with headlights for 2 to 3 hours max and that includes a round trip to Iowa and back.

My headlamps do not move when I turn on the parking lights; only when I turn the switch fully to headlamps. The headlamps do stay up going the other direction. BTW, 76k miles and adding every day!

atmmac said:

-Andy

Andy,

I think you were on Dave's thread about them dropping his C5. You know that the dealer is the last place you want to go! :L :L :L

Edmond said:
Andy,

I think you were on Dave's thread about them dropping his C5. You know that the dealer is the last place you want to go! :L :L :L
Yea i know im not sure if the local shop can fix this. Ill bring it by there and see what they say. my impalas going in there for service today anyhow so ill askem about it.

-Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom