Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Almost traded my C5 today............

D

designeraccd

or as the saying goes: close, but no ceegar. Local Chevy/Nissan dealer still has a triple black, new '07 C6 with but two options: 6spd AT and 2LT package. However, those "base" seats and my screwed up left shoulder did not become friends. Then my beedy lil eyes sighted a just traded white (red interior) '05 C6, 4900 miles: nicely equipped including 3LT and the F55 magnetic shocks. That car got my interest. After fiddling with the baaazillyunn adjustments on the driver's seat I found a setup that comfortably supported me. So out I went to several of my favorite curvy S. Mi. curvy back roads for over an hour.

The car impressed me enough to be willing to trade my 39,800 mile '02 C5 and 27000 mile '05 Accord EX-L V6 coupe: 2 for 1. Such a deal their usedup car mangler...err manager offered: $5k BACK of low book for my C5, $2K back of low book for my Accord, but he was still "willing" to sell me the C6 for their $39K asking price. The only things my two cars need would be detailing, altho the tacky black window tint my C5's original owner had installed didn't help. So, while I may have been born...it wasn't yesterday: my 2 cars stay put.

Later I took my Bilstein and Michelin equipped (oh yea...he hit me for having the ultra hi-po Michelins from Tire Rack, now with @ 11K miles,in lieu of the o.e. badyears, too...) out over some of the same roads. Yup, did do 6-8mph faster down a certain curvy road in the C6, but given the looks, comfort and everything else about my C5...I can definately continue to live with her! That C6 was nice, but not that nice AFAIK. DFO ;shrug

All car dealers use a reference book: Kelly Blue Book, NADA etc as a guide to determining a vehicles wholesale (low book) to retail prices. So "low book" is the estimated value for a used car in essentially excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically. Low mileage theoretically adds to value, some options on some cars do the same. On my C5 it has the optional "clear" roof panel...worth, IIRC, $700 as an add on to its price.

Accords usually have excellent book or ABOVE book resale value. Mine is a loaded, low mileage, maintained per Honda specs, top of the line EX-L V6 coupe that runs strong + passes gas stations (30-31mpg highway) better than my wife's new '08 DOHC 4cyl Malibu! Of course my C5 gets whatever it needs to run properly, too....very special and enjoyable car to me.

If a car needs, for example 4 new tires, the dealer will deduct the cost of those tires and installation labor from the wholesale "book" value of the car. Funny thing seems to be that many dealers deduct as much as possible (hence the term..."hit"), but then do little or nothing to actually "fix" the items that were deducted. Some dealers do though. Many years ago when I sold cars in the L.A. market the dealer I worked at really did go through most cars to enhance their cosmetic and mechanical sales appeal. If not, the price of the car reflected that, too. Aaahhh the hassle of buying a car; back to my original "plan": 150-200K on Accord and maintain/drive/enjoy the C5 til I can't drive her or ride my motorcycles anymore. Keeps more $$$$ in my thin wallet anyhoo!!! LOL! DFO ;)

Yesh, thats the deal with a dealer trade in. They will offer you 15 grand for a car that will be put on the lot for 21, all the while telling you its piece of crap that they will have to wholesale out.

They use something called the Galves book out by my area. A car that can be sold privately for lets say 20 grand would list for about 14 grand in the Galves book.

Indeed, the dealer is in biz to make $$$$, just don't care to pay both his light bill and monthly bonus on my one deal! Sooo...NO deal. After all, the C5 is one nice hi-po sports car in its own right, besides being a delight to my Industrial Designer's jaded eyes.

So basically my response to their oh so "generous" offer was: :boogie DFO

We took her out for some "exercise" on several twisty s. MI backroads this afternoon; all I can say is...she's a keeper. Comfy, decent handling and adequate power. Even without the C5 Z06 sway bars that will probably go on her soon, she is very respectable carving curves. As usual had my 4L60E in either 3rd or mostly 2nd and used the throttle to control her thru the tight curves...very enjoyable! Also the sound of that C5 V8 is sweet, beats the stereo!

The other thing that appeals to my Industrial Designer eyes is the view out over the sophisticated, curving surfaces of the hood versus the almost C3 like view out of the C6. DFO :D

We took her out for some "exercise" on several twisty s. MI backroads this afternoon; all I can say is...she's a keeper. Comfy, decent handling and adequate power. Even without the C5 Z06 sway bars that will probably go on her soon, she is very respectable carving curves. As usual had my 4L60E in either 3rd or mostly 2nd and used the throttle to control her thru the tight curves...very enjoyable! Also the sound of that C5 V8 is sweet, beats the stereo!

The other thing that appeals to my Industrial Designer eyes is the view out over the sophisticated, curving surfaces of the hood versus the almost C3 like view out of the C6. DFO :D

Same thing here, was looking at a C6, they told me the market was extremly SOFT on C5s. I could not resist showing them the "other C5s"
that they had on the lot for retail $ PLUS.

In this economy, one would think they would at least make an effort to make a deal.

REGUARDLESS.....I fit better in a C5 !!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom