Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternate "Bose"-Style Amplifiers?

Chris Kennedy

I have been rebuilding the Bose system in my 89 using parts bought off Ebay and elsewhere. I have one of those 1994 Camaro Bose units with CD all up to snuff, and am looking, now, to replace the Bose speaker amplifiers. During the course of my research I have come across discussions of some plug-in replacement for the Bose amplifiers called the "BRA001 Bose Replacement Amplifier"---has anyone heard of this or know anything about it?

Thanks!
/s/ Chris Kennedy

I bought a "model 217" replacement amplifier for my 90 Vert. They were about $85 each with shipping. I believe they may be similar. They work OK but the tone is a little off as these are generic amps, not tuned for the car as the Bose supposedly are. A little bassy in the rear, but they sound OK, can't be that much of a critic with the top down (why bother driving if you can't have the top down:cool ). The original amps are probably best, especially if you are picky about how your radio sounds (which I obviously am not). Of course, I have been told the best solution is to rip out the entire Bose system and put in a nice aftermarket system.

Just my $0.02

Many thanks, everyone, for the replies. What I am in the process of doing is trying to swap some used parts I no longer need for a set of working units from a local supplier or, if that fails, buying an inexpensive set of working units from another supplier, or a combination of the two. If the rears I get are o.k., I will take my chances with them but will have the replacement fronts rebuilt since these are the most difficult to get in and out, and when they come back I will install them and take the old ones out at the same time and see what I can get for them. Sort of like my own "exchange units". That will minimize any down time and assembly/disassembly, and it will offset the costs of rebuilding, and the rebuilt fronts will come with a lifetime warranty. I am not a big audiophile, nor do I want to spend a lot either on Bose or an aftermarket system-----you know, for me it's like that saying "six of one half dozen of another" when balancing the already in-place and wired Bose vs. aftermarket, especially since I have used Ebay and the internet to really shop the Bose parts. Otherwise, everything is all in (the later Delco unit with CD really looks great and is very quick and easy to use), and even though the current speakers are in need of repair I am surprised at how good everything sounds. What really surprised me was how crummy a job the former owner of The Rat, an "electrical engineer", did on installing the aftermarket radio! I got some original used connectors and "butt connected" them in since he had chopped them out, and when I checked the rear speakers he had simply cut the amplifier wire and hooked (not even twisted) the wires directly on the speaker connections! That's why the fronts never worked---he would've had to have gotten in there to do the same thing and was too lazy to do so. When I powered up the system, they worked, even though they needed repair. No wonder The Rat ran like The Bullet Train back here to Houston when I rescued it in Colorado! Anyway, I fixed all that, popped in some Stan Getz mid-60s bossa nova music, and The Rat samba-d down the road! The Girl from Ipanema was a bit scratchy, but alive again. Next stop, get that job in San Diego I am looking for....
/s/ Chris Kennedy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom