Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Alternator brackets for a C1

Stemmer

Corvette
Hi...

I have a 327 in my 1960. It's using the stock engine mounts and ram horn exhausts from a later model small block.

My alternator is mounted on the driver's side....

I converted my car to an alternator about 20 years ago but I'm not pleased with the alternator mounts I'm using. I'm using the stock C1 generator bracket on the alt and the driver's side ram horn has mounting holes for an alternator. BUT since our C1's use the small block Chevy long water neck water pumps the alternator is hard to get in perfect alignment with the crank and water pump pulleys (when I use the ram horn mount)...

Any recommendations or tips for some brackets?

Appreciate your suggestions...

Cheers

Ken

Passenger side ram horm looks like this....
manifoldcp3.jpg

Driver's side looks like this....
ramhorniw9.jpg

There are no bolt holes in the front of my heads to accomodate an alternator bracket.

My driver's side ram horn does have the alternator mount holes up front and is where my present alternator is attached BUT to me it seems the alternator sits back a bit from the water pump and crank puller (maybe 1/4 inch)... I would like to align it without using washers or a spacer...

Is there a bracket for this type of ram horn I should be using? A bracket would probably move the alternator a bit more forward and more in line with the water pump and crank pulleys...

Your water pump pulley is located 1/8" further forward than it would be on a 350 due to the thickness of the motormount cross-brace, and the exhaust manifold with the two holes in the front for the alternator brace was used on C2 327's that didn't have the motormount cross-brace. There is no stock alternator mounting arrangement that accommodates the added thickness of the C1 motormount cross-brace.

To align the alternator pulley with the water pump pulley, you'll either need to get creative with spacers/washers to move the alternator forward, or use one of the C2 machined alternator pulleys with a built-in extension that shifts the pulley V-groove forward like the one in the photo below (it's a '65 L-79 with A/C).

:beer

Thanks muchly... Where can I purchase the required C2 machined alternator pulley for a C1?

Cheers & again thanks....

Hi,
I think I may have brackets and pulleys you need. I have many pulleys and brackets I have saved for many years. After looking at the picture , I have the same manifold with the bracket still attacted. I can look at the date code on the manifold to see what year it came off of. I also have quite afew manifolds like the ones you have pictured. just let me know and we'll go from there.:beer
Skitch

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom