Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Alternator upgrade question

V

vetdaddy

I installed a Dewitt's aluminum radiator with dual SPAL fans, a modified thermostat and a Stewart's stage II water pump on my '72 454........unbelievable difference....dropped the temp from 210 to 180 on hot Florida days!!!.

Would now like to upgrade the alternator since the fans are pulling more amps. Looking for advice as to brand of alternator as well as recommended amps. Would like to stick to an alternator that somewhat maintains the stock appearance.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!! :beer

i know that the cs144 is an almost drop in for small blocks.
i had read however that they will not fit in a big block because of the brackets. can anyone confirm.

i know that the cs130 will drop right into a big block. the cs130 gets a bad wrap because it supposedly overheats easily however,

i would go here instead to make sure to get one with trouble free install
http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_&_cs130d_alt.htm

140 amp cs130 alternator for 149 bucks.
they have made improvements to original to keep it from overheating as well as larger bearings than oem.
maybe a little more expensive than an autozone cs144 but will definitely fit in BB brackets.

also look up wiring the new alternator. many people suggest a large wire and fusible link between the alternator stud and the starter lug.

I just take a 10SI alternator and install a 100 amp rotor and stator with the other stuff in thre being new. No problems with it fitting, and 100 amp output. But then I'm not running any radio or electric fans either. And I'm basically cheap.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom