Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator?

Allergydoc

Corvette
I am thinking of upgrading the charging system on a 57 to an alternator. Has anyone done this, what is involved and any suggestions would be appreciated. -Larry

I am thinking of upgrading the charging system on a 57 to an alternator. Has anyone done this, what is involved and any suggestions would be appreciated. -Larry
Hey Larry I have done this years ago. I used a one wire alternator with a internal regulator. I am not positive, but I think you hook the armature wire from the regulator to the battery post on the alternator along with the existing battery wire. Then move the armature wire from the regulator to the battery post on the regulator. Your armature post will no longer have a wire now. You are basically using the regulator for a junction block. If your car has a idiot light you may have to clip that wire. Like I said I am going from memory so make sure first.

Air conditioned c2s came with a 61amp alternator. If you go to your local auto store and tell them you want an alternator for a c2 with A-C, you get an alternator that plugs right in and bolts right up.

There is a company that makes an alternator that looks like a generator for retrofit where want to keep the original look. I'd have to look them up but I've seen them in the rod magazines.

What are you going to do with your tach drive if you switch to an alternator?

Tom

I am changing over to an electronic ignition so if I go the alternator route, I would drive a retro appearing tach off the electronic box. -Larry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom