Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aluminum Restoration

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
The 1965 Roadster that I am restoring was stored in a barn since 1983. The head lignt motors were seized. I have the light motors and gear boxes now working. I plan on media blasting the steel section of the unit and painting to NCRS specifications. What would be the best product to restore the aluminum components to show room condition.

Thanks! Ray

Aluminum

I've used the Mothers Alum Cleaner and Polish and it works great for obtaining a clean finish
Lots o luck
T

Just tried a product called:
Weldmark WM781 Aluminum Cleaner and Brightener

I used a product called Simple Green to clean the aluminum part. This product did not clean the aluminum as well as I would of liked. I used a carburetor cleaner and removed the majority of grease and grime(Corvette has been in a barn since1983). I then applied the WM 781. The areas that were free of grease and grime had a nice bright aluminum look. The more I rubbed the better the alumimum looked. Will purchase more carburetor cleaner and try to remove all the grease and grime. Repeat the process, and will post the results.

Has anyone used the Weldmark WM781 product.

Ray

Sounds promising Ray. Does it seem to etch the surface any? I was going to suggest a product but it would be too easy to ruin a part if you weren't used to using it. Keep us posted.

Tom

The WM 781 has cleaned and left a nice finish. After 24 hours I polished with a soft rag and the alumimun has a nice low shine. I am going to try the expansion tank this weekend and will post the results. The product contains an inorganic acid, and warnings about getting on: paint, glass and anodized aluminum. By following the directions, I see no signs of etching.

I am posting a picture of a before and after on my web site picture page.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/carneyscorvette
Ray

Looks nice. Can't waite to see the tank.

Tom

Aluminum restoration

WM 781 seems to work very well. The expansion tank had some pitting. I applied the WM 781 to clean the aluminum. I then used some 400 and 600 grit wet and dry sand paper to remove the pitting and re-applied the WM781. There is still some cleaning to do around the fill area, but I feel the aluminum cleaned very well. I also cleaned the replacement tail section for my 1961 T-10 transmission. The use of a brass brush help in the cleaning of the textured aluminum transmission tail.
You can view the results at: http://home.rochester.rr.com/carneyscorvette

Ray

"Eagle One" Mag Wheel Cleaner "for rough-cast alloy wheels" (not the gentle products for polished or clear-coated wheels) does a great job cleaning aluminum; just be sure and wear rubber gloves and safety glasses when you use it, as it says on the bottle. Another good product is "Alumiprep", available at automotive paint supply stores.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom