Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another C3 Brake Question

Ripp 73

Corvette
1973 L82 Blue Coupe
Hello guys,

I have been away for a little while down in Orlando and I will say it was beautiful. Anyway, I got home and have some time to work on the Corvette some. I replaced the remaining two calipers that were old (and faulty) and also at the same time replaced the master cylinder. Here is what happened. I bled the back two calipers with no problem. Went to the front to start bleeding them and the brake pedal went to the floor and would not pump up at all. I have a problem here. So I start checking it out and I have air coming out between the power booster and the master cylinder connection. This isn't supposed to happen right? There was no gasket on the old one or anything. My suspect at this point is the little rubber gasket that is pressed into the power booster. I do not believe it is sealing the hole up well enough. But would this happen? Work just fine for the rear calipers and then suddenly go out all together for the fronts? The two calipers I replaced were the left rear (drivers side) and right front (passenger). I am going to do more investigating tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone here could give any advice. Thank you.

The rubber cup/seal between the master cylinder and the booster is important, but only to seal that joint from vacuum leaks - it has nothing to do with the hydraulic fluid system. Does the rear piston in your replacement master cylinder have the same depth hole for the booster pushrod as the old one did?
:beer

Hey JohnZ

Yes the depth of the hole is the same. We figured out the underlying problem of this today though. Since we repleced the master cylinder and not the booster the old booster just didn't have the strength to carry on. POP!!! Put a hole in the diapragm. So I am replacing the booster now too. What a job that is when the car is still intact. I pulled the old one off so far and have now ordered a replacement. So it will be another week before installing and getting back on the road. So far I am not liking this driving to non driving ratio. Drive one day : Work on for twenty days. However, I am grateful that the booster died while we were bleeding the system and not going 60mph down the freeway.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom