Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Rear Seal Question

ehummel

Corvette
Sorry if this is redundant. I just had the real seal replaced (double lip) and notice that when I shut the car off the next day I see I quarter sized oil spot on the garage floor. The engine is relatively new (1979 one piece seal) and there are no leaks around the usual spots (valve covers, distributor O-ring, etc). What I noticed that was before there would be obvious sign of the RMS leak as there was oil on the back of the pan around the flex plate dust cover. Now I see no signs of that, there seems to be a little seepage through the vent hole on the flex plate cover...I see no obvious sign that the leak is coming from the back of the motor and no oil on the pan. The fluid is so clean it is almost clear, the oil only has 50 miles on it since the last change. It does not look like transmission fluid. Is this still the RMS?

Thanks everyone.

try taking the flex plate dust cover off (four bolts) you should get a better look at the back of the engine this way.

try taking the flex plate dust cover off (four bolts) you should get a better look at the back of the engine this way.

Thanks Phill. I will look this weekend. It would be a real bummer if it still was leaking. The engine only has a few thousand miles on it but it has been driven so little over the last few years. The leak I attempted to fix was no greater than the one I have now. I am wondering if all the 2 peice RMS have a little amount of seepage such as this. It is harly noticeable and does not do it all the time but it is just one of those annoyances.

I think my original post said one piece seal, that was a typo it is a 2 peice. It seems as if the leak was the oil filer seal. Who woulda guessed that...I have never had that happen before.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom