Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anti-lock brakes

jmccloud

Corvette
1995 White Coupe LT-1 Auto
Looking at a nice red '96 auto. One of the front anti-lock sensors had a broken lead (rubbed against the wheel) and had lit up the 'Anti-lock' light on the dash. Repaired the broken wire (solder + tape, not a replacement). Read good continuity with and ohmeter thru the sensor. Disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes to try and remove any codes. Checked fuses.
The 'ABS' light remains lit on the dash and a hard stop on slick grass reveals that the ABS is not functioning.
Does the OBD II store a code for this? Does it maintain the code and defeat the ABS even after the battery has been disconnected? How to reset the condition?
Thanks

A failed front wheel speed sensor is not a "hard code" and will reset the light once the problem is fixed. The diagnostics do a resistance check on the wires, so although you have continuity you need to check the Ohms, to make sure that it is the same as teh other side. The solder may have increased the line resitance. Other than that I am out of ideas.

Best thing to do is to pull the code and post it here. Some auto parts stores like AutoZone will read the codes for free. Check to make sure that they have an OBDII scanner that can read ABS codes.

Once the ABS light comes on, the ABS system is disabled but the brakes still function. Also, I dont think that ABS codes can be deleted from the EBCM simply by disconnecting the battery. You need a scan tool that can remove codes.

Abs

Thanks for the Autozone suggestion. Tried Autozone and Advance Auto Parts today and they said they could only do engine codes, not ABS codes, and that I'd need to see the dealer. So I've no idea what the code is, just that it's ABS not engine. A friend has an acquaintance who has a 'well equipped' repair shop. I'll try there tomorrow to try for codes and a reset.
Does anyone out there know what kind of scanner is needed to read ABS codes and reset them? The other day there was mention of a unit to cycle the pump for purging???

GM technicians use a "Tech-1" or a "Tech-2" diagnostic scanner to read the various error codes stored in the cars different ECM's. There are modules that are plugged into the scanner to read specific controllers. In your case, a "Brake Module" would be plugged into the scanner to read any codes stored in the ABS/ASR controller. These specific codes are not stored in the engine ECM or the body CCM so you need a different module to read them. The scanner with the brake module is used to run the ABS pump to flush fluid from the ABS module.

Some system codes can be retrieved without the need for a scanner. ECM codes can be displayed in the dash display right below the digital speedometer if you know what specific pins in the ALDL need to be grounded. With the FX3 Selective Ride Control, grounding pin C to pin A in the ALDL will display a series of flashes in the warning light DIC that you can use to decipher error codes for the FX3 system.

A Helms Service Manual is probably one of the best "tools" you can get for your Vette if you intend to do any of your own work. Go to www.helminc.com to order a set. They run around $100 but are well worth the money. The auto parts store Chilton or Haynes manuals provide not much more than basic information.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom