Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anti-Theft

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hello all:

With the summer comming up and and the vette's comming out, I wanted to get all of your inputs on the best methods of theft prevention. Yeah, I know there's a factory system, but mine's shot. Anyone have info on how to repair it, schematics maybe?? I was also considering an aftermarket system, I'm sure someone out there has one, or knows someone that does. What do you all reccomend for a 1975, no power locks?

Kevin

i also have a 75 with a defunct alarm,i would like to get the original fixed,but there's a lot of small pieces to it that could cause problems and $$$$. best bet is for a modern one, a corvette salvage yard would yeild the parts needed to put the door locks powered.

The club

kridgley said:
Hello all:

With the summer comming up and and the vette's comming out, I wanted to get all of your inputs on the best methods of theft prevention. Yeah, I know there's a factory system, but mine's shot. Anyone have info on how to repair it, schematics maybe?? I was also considering an aftermarket system, I'm sure someone out there has one, or knows someone that does. What do you all reccomend for a 1975, no power locks?

Kevin

I use THE CLUB ! It's better then nothing.

I had a Viper system put in with an ignition kill feature, a motion detector and all openings have switches. With it on it gives a nice warning beep if anyone comes within a foot of the car and then all hell breaks loose if they don't back off. I don't think there is any way to mess with the unit, wiring or the audible alarm without setting it off. I have a feeling its enough to eliminate the joyriders but that a determined professional will find it child's play at best. My infallable methods are when not in use I keep it in a locked garage with my '05 non-vette every day drive (which is virtually impossible to steal and low on the theft list) blocking the garage door; with no exceptions I do not park it at any shopping centers/malls; and I do not drive it to any other places that make me worry enough that it will impact my sense of inner peace. Its not that I'm paranoid or anything as I drive the car a fair amount its just that I ascribe to the better safe than sorry approach to C3 enjoyment.

I only park mine at relatives houses or at a car show....never at a mall or store unless Im sitting in it........never take a chance parking it anywhere....

very basic (and also one of the only things we used to use back when these things were new before "sophisticated" alarms and lojack) was to switch the hot coil wire and hide the switch somewhere in the interior. it didn't stop the car from being damaged, but it sure wasn't going to be moved real easy unless it was loaded on a tow truck. it may be a very stupid attitude, but i really don't think most systems are worth much more than previuosly stated. it might keep a joy rider down and out, but someone more professional intent on getting your ride, will probably be able to do so one way or the other. just think about your own reaction when walking to or from your car in a parking lot when you hear a car alarm go off. no different than the majority of folks, you just kind of ignore it after you glance in the direction of the sound (if in fact you even do that).

I have a 4 speed in mine, so I use a club that links the clutch to the steering wheel, thus preventing the clutch from being pushed down and it doesn't let the steering wheel move. I realize that someone would only have to cut through the steering wheel with this system. However, I also try to only park in it places I feel it will be safe. I really only think this would deter someone walking by that would want to go on a joyride. If someone really wanted the car and knew what they were doing, unfortunately, I think they could take it. That is why I carry theft insurance.

I have a friend that had a custom pickup stolen outside his apartment three days after he bought it. They prayed liquid nitrogen on the club, broke it like an ice cube and left the shards sitting on the floor. The cops told him that prople with laptops follow cars recording addresses and travel habits. When they have a request for your car type they know where to get it:

Alarmed - Pick it up a tthe mall or somewhere public with a slide truck. Everyone thinks the car is being repo'd or needs repairs and hardly even notice.

Not alarmed - Same as above or at your home, work, or whever they feel like it.

If a thief REALLY wants what we have, we would pretty much have to imprison ourselves to keep them from it.....sad but true.

The messed up thing about the truck, they stole the interior down to the metal, custom hood, ground effects, rims / rubber, bumpers and tailgate. They didn't take the motor, transmission, doors, or glass so the insurance company would not total it. He got it back and traded it immediately because it never was the same.

I hate a thief....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom