Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any Electrochromatic Mirror Leaks...?

timfitz63

Corvette
'98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
For those with the electrochromatic (auto-dimming) rearview mirrors in their C5's: has anyone experienced fluid leaking from their mirror(s)? I've not experienced it myself, and have searched the forum for reports of this kind of thing, finding only one (a driver's side exterior mirror). As post #2 correctly points out, this "magical, light-bending fluid" can be rather caustic. :ugh

Apparently, this was a relatively common problem with the internal rearview mirrors on Acuras, BMW's, and Lincoln Continentals of the same time period as the C5; their mirrors were supplied by Magna Donnelly. But I've not really heard of problems with the mirrors on the C5 -- or any other GM vehicles, for that matter.

Does anyone know who the mirror supplier for the C5 was? Even if it was Magna Donnelly, it's likely that the mirrors supplied to different manufacturers are of different designs. At least I hope so...

I have experienced that problem, not on a Vette, but on my 99 Blazer.

I disliked the autodimming feature so I simply replaced the electrochomatic mirror with a standard unit.

First that I have heard of it.

Yeah, I hadn't heard about it connected with Corvettes at all; and only heard about it for the first time the other day in connection with Acuras and BMW's.

Sounds like it's a non-issue for the C5.

I've had them on a few of my cars in the past and have not experienced a problem. Not saying one doesn't exist, just that I haven't experienced it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom