Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any HONEST dealers left? Sign in, please!

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
First, thanks to all who responded to my VATS programming question in the Technical & Performance forum. I'd ordered a blank C5 key (with same resistance value as my original) that just needed to be cut. Two key places (not locksmiths) told me no way; ONLY the delaer could do it. Fine. I went to the dealership, where two individuals told me that even with the same chip, my new key MUST be programmed as well, or the car WOULD NOT start. They charge $50 for this service (I didn't take them up on it). Of course, they were LYING...I went to a locksmith, who cut the key for a whopping $3.50. The key works just fine. Which brings me to the topic of this thread...
Why would a community Chevy dealership tell such an outrageous lie, knowing it could be so easily disproven? Why do they think anyone would trust them with their car if they can't even be honest about something as trivial as a replacement key? Is my 50 bucks so important that they're willing to gamble their integrity? I am not for one second going to believe that a Chevy dealership is in the dark about replacement keys. I wonder if anyone else has caught service people in blatant lies, and if so, what did you do about it? Better yet, are there any dealers on this forum who believe in establishing a solid relationship with a new customer rather than insulting his intelligence? I know there are crooks and lying scumbags all over nowadays, but I didn't expect to find them wearing Chevy uniforms.

the 50$ is for doc fees associated with billing you for cutting your new keys! ;LOL

Don't put down to avarice what could explained by ignorance!

There was a time when anyone working at an automotive dealership was expected to have a certain amount of knowledge about cars. This was particularly true of those dealerships selling new cars. Everyone was expected to know all the features of the new models, what was hot, what was not, etc. Back then, a particular marque probably sold half a dozen models so the "working knowledge" wasn't too taxing.

Well, cars and dealerships are no longer the same. Since we're talking GM, I'll ask you... how many different models does GM now sell? If you guessed anything less than 50, you're way off. Are these new vehicles more or less sophisticated than those in previous years? How much more technology goes into each vehicle? Even into the keys??

Most of the folks working at the dealerships nowsadays aren't technically estute. If the guy at the service counter was told "These keys must be cut here!" and has no reason to suspect otherwise, they'll tell you exactly what they know which is, as you now know, inaccurate. Does that mean he's trying to screw you out of some money? I don't think so. Is he lying? No, he doesn't know the truth about these keys.

You went to two different key cutting places who wouldn't cut it for you also told you to take it to the dealership. Why? They wanted to chase away your business? I don't think so!! They didn't know any better.

I'm not saying they're not trying to pick your pocket. To be honest, it's entirely possible but I am saying don't overlook another possibility.

-Mac

74bigblock said:
the 50$ is for doc fees associated with billing you for cutting your new keys! ;LOL

And, they forgot to tell you that you were buying drinks after the dealership closed that day. Well, actually, they couldn't tell you, otherwise you might have wanted to come. And they are FORBIDDEN from fraternizing with customers that they just scammed!:beer

Most dealerships I know are in business to make 'MONEY' :eyerole , so dealership staff members :naughty: will try and take advantage of the unknowing (ignorant) customer. I know I've been burned a couple of times already with over-charges :eek of services. What can you do except live and learn.

keys

Well Mac hit it on the head. There are many cars that have to have the keys programmed to the vehicle. If you have a key cut for a Chevy Venture you do have to program the key to the vehicle and must have the other key as well. Many GM cars are like this. You need both keys together or the computer wont read the other one. You put one key in and do a few steps and immediately replace it with the second key so the computer recognizes it. This is done for your security. Key codes used to be easy to get and thiefs knew it. The auto manufacturers are trying to combat the problem. You cant even get a key code from most dealers anymore without proving ownership of the car.
Now for the 50 dollars. Dealers pay mechanics flat rate. They charge usually an hour no matter what. So maybe they charge 50 an hour labor. Dealers do not tell all their emplyess the secrets to programming keys because of libility. That is why many really dont know. If a salesman or service writer told u how to program it and maybe it wasnt your car?? They could be sued. And we all know the public will sue over anything.
As far as your C5 key. The people were mostly correct. There are 15 different blanks that fit the C5. Each have a different resistor in it so it has to be matched corrctly or the key wont work.You just got lucky. What if you would have gotten one of the other 14 types. You would have gladly payed the dealer 50 dollars. Knowledge is priceless.
ENJOY YOUR VETTE

To get anything done for $50 is a bargain. Most places in my area charge a minimum of one hour tech time for anything and the rates start at $75 hour.

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected and do acknowledge most of what you are saying. However, "luck" had nothing to do with it. I made sure I ordered a key with the same resistance value as my original by having a friend read the chip with a meter. Then I found out which key "number" to order by matching up the correct value. The numbers/values were supplied by a CAC member, so you're right; knowledge is priceless. Which brings me back to my original point-- it appears one can gain more accurate and up-to-date information from forums like this than from the people who's business it is to sell and maintain the cars (maybe historically that's always been the case; I don't know). What if I had been told I needed to have an expensive engine component replaced at a tremendous labor rate, and in reality the component could really just be adjusted? Am I exaggerating or does the key incident suggest such a scenario is indeed possible? I know people aren't perfect and make mistakes, but no one at the dealership even suggested anything other than forking over the 50 bucks. And if, hypothetically, they honestly don't know that my method (Measure resistance, determine key number, order blank, have locksmith cut to match original, start car) is possible, then that is truly sad. I intend to address the person(s) who insisted on the programming on their error and will post their excuse. I know it's hard for employees to stay abreast of technical details of all their models, but isn't that what we have computers for? Corvette owners are more passionate and meticulous than any others in Chevy's model ownership; the CAC and other such forums bear this out. The fact that the car's been popular for over 50 years led me to assume that info about it (at least within a certain model range, say, C4s and C5s) is archived and updated by dealerships nationwide. So much for assumptions.

TheSearcher said:
To get anything done for $50 is a bargain. Most places in my area charge a minimum of one hour tech time for anything and the rates start at $75 hour.

Sorry, but I don't agree that $50 for anything is a "bargain". I got my bargain by paying $20 for the blank key and $3.50 for a locksmith to cut it. Let me put it to you this way...if you were driving with your convertible top down and fifty bucks flew out the window, would you be ****ed, or would you laugh it off as no big deal? By the way, another "bargain" from the dealer: $123 for a remote (not including programming) versus $30 for a used one on-line in perfect condition. Is this a great country, or what?

You still got off easy BulletTime. I used to be the proud owner of a Catera, which I purcahse w/ only one key and remote available. Drove to the local Caddie store and the key cost me $125, took it to the locksmith, got it cut, $5. Then I had to take it back to Caddie and paid $75 more to make the key and computer talk. Was very expensive to me, but at least I had a spare key and I decide to live w/out the remote.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom