Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any tips for hood removal.

Wayne64

Corvette
1964 black/chery/conv.
I will be taking the hood off to refurbish the light motor over the winter.
Any tips would be appreciated.

I will be taking the hood off to refurbish the light motor over the winter.
Any tips would be appreciated.

One tip from "Mr John Z" was... drill to small holes in each hood hinge ..one at the top..and one at the bottom thru and into the fiber galss before removing the hood. I think John Z sugessted a 1/8" drill bit with tape on the bit to prevent going thu the hood top surface.

When you go to reinstall the hood, you stick the drill bit in to relocate the holes in the hinge and fiber glass and Bingo....your right back in alignment.

John..correct me if I'm incorrect here.

:beer

One tip from "Mr John Z" was... drill to small holes in each hood hinge ..one at the top..and one at the bottom thru and into the fiber galss before removing the hood. I think John Z sugessted a 1/8" drill bit with tape on the bit to prevent going thu the hood top surface.

When you go to reinstall the hood, you stick the drill bit in to relocate the holes in the hinge and fiber glass and Bingo....your right back in alignment.

John..correct me if I'm incorrect here.

:beer

That's the method I've always used for the DOOR hinges (holes can't be seen behind the door trim panel). For the hood, I use a stripe of "white-out" on the rear and inboard edge of the hinge-to-hood joint before I take the hood off the hinges to use as the alignment reference when re-installing the hood; the "white-out" rubs right off, leaving no trace. :)

If you are taking the hood off alone use an engine hoist. Tie a rope between the posts on the rear of the hood, hook the hook in the middle and lift using the hoist. This allows you to support the hood while taking the bolts out then you can lift it and swing it to the side and lift it off the hook.

Tyler

If you are taking the hood off alone use an engine hoist. Tie a rope between the posts on the rear of the hood, hook the hook in the middle and lift using the hoist. This allows you to support the hood while taking the bolts out then you can lift it and swing it to the side and lift it off the hook.

Tyler
Thanks for the help. Will use the suggestions.
Can the headlight motors be taken off by taking the grill off and removing from bottom ?
Or is the hood the only option.

Thanks for the help. Will use the sugestions.
Can the headlight motors be taken off by taking the grill off and removing from bottom ?
Or is the hood the only option.

Don't know about a '64, but on a '65-'67 you have to remove the bumpers to remove the grille. It's a lot easier to remove the hood. :)

Don't know about a '64, but on a '65-'67 you have to remove the bumpers to remove the grille. It's a lot easier to remove the hood. :)

You can remove the grill on a '64 without removing the bumpers, but I don't know if you can get at the headlights.

The hood is off went well. I will check some of the old posts for headlight motor removal.
Thanks .

Wayne, I recently rebuilt my headlight motors guided by a couple of posts from this forum. I did not remove my hood just stuck a mirror down between the hood and nose and eventually learned how to do things upside down and backwards. I hope this link comes up and you can use it. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50105&highlight=headlight
It was really quite easy, had to be or I couldn't have done it, had the motors off rebuilt and back together in an afternoon. Good luck!

Thanks Charlie I took out the motors today and have one unit cleaned and put back togeather. Not a lot to it. Would their be any other lubrication points . I noticed what looks like a limiter switch that has a black wire off it. Another project.
Thanks for the interest.

That switch operates the "Lights" warning light in the cluster if the headlights are on and the bucket isn't fully open - has nothing to do with the operation of the motors. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom