Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anybody got some marshmellos?

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
As some of you know my Vette made it through Katrina only to be destroyed by a fire about 10 days later. After the storm I was installing a new stereo and relocating the battery as I found time. Sort of a therapy I guess to help deal with the stresses that a catastrophy like this causes.

I had gone on my daily ice and water resupply run and came back to this. I spoke with the Fire Chief who was very confused. He was thinking someone may have been trying to siphon gas out of the tank. The battery was removed and not even in the car. Still not sure of the actual cause the Fire Inspector was supposed to come out and take a look but I have not seen them.

The fire actually started behind the car ... between the rear tires that I had removed to run the 1/0 guage cable to the battery. My GF saw the fire and called for help and attempted to use the hose to put it out. The heat was so intense she had to hide around the corner of the house, not to mention she was worried about the gas tank exploding, since the fire got to the car at the rear bumper. The Fire Dept. was on scene and had the fire extinguished in about 3 minutes. Just goes to show how quickly fiberglass burns. This was a very high intensity fire as there are pieces of aluminum that are melted.

:w
:pat

That is terrible Hrt...... It's like adding insult to injury. But nobody was hurt again so I'd count my blessings on this one as well. If this is God's way of testing you, tell him you've passed.......:upthumbs

Len:w

Man...thats horrible...Wish you put a warning in the title, that could cause nightmares.

Thanks Len,

Yes I am very happy that no one was hurt, it could have been a bad situation.

I guess with all the losses that others had this is minimal. Almost like I was being punished for making it through the storm. The Chief was thinking it may be arson, but we had an agressive German Shepard tied up in the back yard. This dog is the best alarm you can have, if he doesn't know you, you probabally don't want to come very close. I cant see someone sneaking in and setting the fire but stranger things have happened.

Gerald, that is awful!!
I am so sorry you're having to deal with this on top of everything else.

Tammy

Gerald,

I hated to hear about the loss of your car - that is unbelievable. Seems like the assault on our senses and hearts should be over by now. But thank goodness no one was injured.

I know what you mean about guilt over lack of damage and hardship, my home received minimal damage though I have friends who were wiped out. I just look at it as I was spared so that I could help others.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'm sending you a PM with my number and send me yours if that suits you because I tried to locate a number for you immediately after the storm to check on you but couldn't locate one.

Jane Ann

Thanks Tammy and Jane

My GF stopped me out in the road before I pulled in the driveway with an awful look on her face. I was really thinking she was going to tell me something happened to my neighbor, Mel, or one of his guys that had taken refuge at Mel's house. When she said that it was the car I was very relieved. We have all become a really tight knit group ... all the neighborhood ... and I would have hated to get news that something had happened to someone. I think this storm has really shown the real person in everyone ... good and bad. There are a lot of people that are going out of their way to help others ... then there are the others that take advantage of people and the situation. These are the ones that really tick me off.

Jane as you know celluar service is getting better I don't have a home phone but if you need anything ... anything at all PLEASE give me a call. 228-383-7912 I've been going out to work at Stennis and we've been helping others there that need help with roofing, clearing debris, gutting houses, ect. but I have the weekends somewhat free. (GF's house in the Pass had 17 ft of water ... been helping out there this weekend)

I have been thinking of a replacement, but still need to see the insurance people. The claim is in but I'm sure they are very busy also. I'm kinda thinking of upgrading. Don't get me wrong C4 buddies, I loved my C4 ... but things have improved quite a bit in two generations. Its funny GF & I were talking about it last night. I said LeMans Blue '02-'03 ZO6. She said go for it, but then think of the mods you will want to do to it. I said with that car you don't need mods. ;) Well maybe change the black interior to red and put a white stripe on it. She kinda turned up her nose. Later I found the same car as described ... already done ... for sale at Art's in BG across from the museum. She saw the pics and agreed that it looks good. Well its an idea for now.

Thanks all

:pat

That would be no problem there. C5's are nice. At least something good will come out of this. Hopefully you will be all set to go by the next cruisefest. :cool

Damn that really is horrible. Again, I am glad you and GF are ok. Hope insurance comes through for you in a timely manner and IMO, an upgrade would be very tempting.

Hey Gerald, sorry to hear the news. Can't imagine how you feel. Is the car a total loss?? Other then the front rims probably.

Good idea about upgrading, just as long as you dont turn your nose up to us C4 crew;)

Gerald,

I'm glad to hear you and your neighbors are doing OK under the circumstances. The car fire is really unfortunate, and has got me sctratching my head about whjat may have caused it.
I have thought for a while about the chrome wheels and thier position behind the car, and I'm starting to wonder whether the wheels could act as a parabolic reflector that would have concentrated the sun's rays in a spot on the rear bumper.
I don't know if this is even a possible thing to happen, but when I saw the wheels pointed upwards and in the close proximity to where the fire started, I couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with it. And if it is possible, then it's something we all should be aware and cautious of.
Don't suggest this to your insurance adjuster, they probably won't have thought of it.

Good luck finding your new Vette!

Craig come on buddy you know me better than that. It'll never happen. You forget I'm the goofball that waves even when driving my old Dodge truck.

Pete that was one of the things I had thought about with the wheels there and maybe a reflection off the storm door glass but it had been sitting just like that for three or four days prior. Just been too busy to finish up. The first three days after the storm we got a little rain but since its been dry .... really dry. With all the salt that got blown everywhere its got all the trees looking like they are dying, looks almost like winter not summer. The grass is doing the same. We have had an abundance of helicopter traffic recently and one thought was that maybe a flare or something dropped, but can't find any evidence of that. I haven't disturbed the scene because the Inspector was going to come out.

The car is pretty much a total loss, but I'm not an adjuster. The firewall did its job. The engine compartment is still intact and it doesn't look like there was any damage there, all the wires and hoses are good, no evidence of excessive heat. The insurance adjuster is not going to like me at all ... I have receipts for everything that I have done to this car even down to bulbs and fuses. I am going to see if I can "buy it back." I'll pull the engine, tranny, exhaust, ect. and use some of it for my old K5 Blazer. One bonus is the Blazer is getting a set of Corvette 6 way power Sport seats .... they were in the house, not reinstalled yet.

Man, my heart goes out to you. The vette is a substantial loss, but like you said compared to most people, at least you have your life. I cant help but think about my car bieng in a fire. The way it looks, feels, smells, is just amazing. You know, if you do salvage anything from her, she will live on.

Is that crazy, or does any other vette nuts think like that?

Unreal - I just did a forum search for KATRINA and found this thread..
boy does that make ya sick

Glad you two are ok and I take it you are back on the coast.
I'm here in Biloxi and will be back and forth between BLX and BSL working at what is left of mom and dad's home (as well as cleaning up at my Sister's place in the Pass- timber ridge)

Hollar if I can bring ya something
Rain

I'll be ... Man , how are you , this would be a total disaster for me .
Well still, you survived a lot . Maybe it is a time to upgrade . Treat yourself to some nice upgrade . It is not so good to sell your love , you put a lotta soul inta ... but when she departs like that , it is justified to go for something different and pleasant . Hey , it still be a vette , people .
And she left ya a lot of herself . She will be in your and ours hearts .
Wish you a lot of good .
max

what a pity your car catched the flames,I looked nice.

but lucky enough you have a good dose of humour, I like your choice of title despite your Vette was total loss in a fire.

good luck on your search for a GS C5 Z06.

no problem on the upgrade, you can brag about the C5 but always end the speech with following : but my C4 was better/nicer/greater/faster and more beautiful ;)

Gerald, heard you talk in one of the threads about your car going up in smoke, but the pictures I came up with in my head were nothing to what the real thing was. I remember looking at your car this summer at the CruiseFest, thinking it was very sharp. I'm so sorry about your losses. If I can do anything to help out let me know.

Man, I am so sorry to hear about this! That just sux! I do hope the insurance gets this all resolved for you in a timely manner.

Good luck on the C4 to C5 upgrade! A blue Z06 would be sweet!

Hrtbeat1,
That’s awful! :cry

I hope that the loss of your C4 springboards you into that LeMans Blue Z06. That would be a nice consolation after what you’ve been through.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom