Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anybody know a Factory Cam Spec for the L98 (90 perticularly)

Nick90vetteguy

Corvette
1990 Polo Green Corvette
So I installed a LT4 hot cam,lifters, rockers in my L98 couple of months ago, I'll be honest didnt really care for it to much, I was very impressed with the top-end speed but really missed that low-end torque :( if anybody knows where I can find or better yet try to get a camshaft from a stock L98 vette, I know some people say your better off putting in a ZZ or something else, its just my taste thanks!

If you are looking at stock cams ,could always try a stock LT1 cam
Just have to cut the drive pin down to L98 length
Little more lift than L98 cam ; expect to pay $20 -$50 max
Have seen them given away on some sites

Ditto the stock L98 cam
Ask on the For Sale section of any C4 site, someone probably give you one for the cost of shipping
I have binned 3 in the past because there is no market for them

If you are looking at stock cams ,could always try a stock LT1 cam
Just have to cut the drive pin down to L98 length
Little more lift than L98 cam ; expect to pay $20 -$50 max
Have seen them given away on some sites

Ditto the stock L98 cam
Ask on the For Sale section of any C4 site, someone probably give you one for the cost of shipping
I have binned 3 in the past because there is no market for them
Hi Oz, What should I expect If I put the LT1 cam in mine.?....Roger.

A little more valve lift; better breathing

Typical L98 cam 202/207 .415/.430 lift( 88-89) 87 less lift
Typical LT1 cam similar duration .450/.460 lift

Personally I would only do it unless if you had engine apart for another reason and got the cam for free.
Not enough difference to make it worthwhile pulling engine apart

LT4 cam would be better choice ( if cheap/ free )
203/210 .475/.480 lift .the extra exhaust opening would help a little on the L98 heads

Ask around for the right cam for your needs.

I wished I went with a diffrent cam with my motor build I just have to save some More money up.

Oh ya my cam is not much bigger than the LT1 cam.

Yea you pretty much rebuild the whole vavletrain you have to install new pushrods, and a lift thats the hard part

A little more valve lift; better breathing

Typical L98 cam 202/207 .415/.430 lift( 88-89) 87 less lift
Typical LT1 cam similar duration .450/.460 lift

Personally I would only do it unless if you had engine apart for another reason and got the cam for free.
Not enough difference to make it worthwhile pulling engine apart

LT4 cam would be better choice ( if cheap/ free )
203/210 .475/.480 lift .the extra exhaust opening would help a little on the L98 heads
Hi Oz, Thank you, I will take your advice.....Roger.

The LT4 camshaft in the L98 engine is poor choice unless the L98 has been modified with larger intake port volume and shorter runner length. If you haven't done that, expect a loss in low-end torque and little or no gain above 5000 rpm.

The LT4 camshaft in the L98 engine is very poor advice unless the L98 has been modified with larger intake port volume and runner length.

If you haven't done that, expect a loss in low-end torque and little or no gain above 4000 rpm.

Yea ya know its funny you mentioned that, when I installed mine I really thought all that hard work would have paid off, but when I drove around and ripped it on the highway wow very very very disappointed, even on the top-end power the rpms dropped but not as much as the stock cam I have to say the money I invested in that should have went to something much better, I'm trying to find a stock cam for the L98 because i loved that low end trq and launch.

Like a few others said, you wouldn't get full benefits...

BECAUSE:

L98 intake is designed on flow characteristics of LB9 intake, which had ONLY 15 less HP, but 55 lbs less twist, so what does that tell us???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom