Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone had any water issues with after market intakes?

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
I have performed some Google searches about after market air intakes, Calloway Honker, Blackwing, Vararam to name a few, for the C5's and inevitably I run across some comments' about water getting into some of the aftermarket intakes.

1. Has anyone in this form here at CAC had this issue?

2. If so what brand are you using?

3. I have also heard that if you use some of these brands to not use a paper filter, so what type of filter do you use?

4. Have any installed a hood seal?

Hood Seal

5. And lastly, has anyone who has installed one of these actually been caught while driving in the rain long enough to post a valid reply?

In other words qualified to make a real world evaluation?

Thanks

I have not after nearly two months of aftermarket usage.

I have a Donaldson Blacwing. I have not installed a cold-air box yet.

3. I have also heard that if you use some of these brands to not use a paper filter, so what type of filter do you use?
The blackwing has a fabric/fiber type filter that is not replaceable. It is cleaned with a proprietary cleaner and then oiled when the airflow indicator turns red.

Not yet, but I intend to.

5. And lastly, has anyone who has installed one of these actually been caught while driving in the rain long enough to post a valid reply?
Of the 21 hour round trip I made to CruiseFest this year, over half was in the rain, and half of the rain was gully-washer variety storms, and at least an hour of that had my speed reduced to below 20mph due to visibility. i think that qualifies me to answer this one. At no point during any of the storms did I experience any of the sluggishness or reduction in responsiveness that some have spoken of. The car ran fine at all times.

I'd be interested to hear what impact the cold-air box has on water intrusion.

Thank Eric

I did not think of this, but that should have also been included with my questions, so we will use it as your question.:upthumbs

eric said:
I'd be interested to hear what impact the cold-air box has on water intrusion.

Pseudomind said:

In other words qualified to make a real world evaluation?

Thanks

1. Never had an issue, have had it installed for around 18 months now.

2. Have a vararam intake

3. Vararam provides and recommends a foam filter so just in case any water does get up there the foam filter helps to vaporize it.

4. No but its on the long list.

5. Been caught in the rain plenty of times as this is my daily driver. Never had a problem those 18 months and the rain has been plenty bad at times.

PS Power gain is very real and noticeable.

Bioscache2 said:
I'll second that with regards to the Blackwing.

Bioscache2 said:
1. Never had an issue, have had it installed for around 18 months now.

2. Have a vararam intake

3. Vararam provides and recommends a foam filter so just in case any water does get up there the foam filter helps to vaporize it.

4. No but its on the long list.

5. Been caught in the rain plenty of times as this is my daily driver. Never had a problem those 18 months and the rain has been plenty bad at times.

What he said! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom