Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

anyone have build plans for a work bench?

phrogs

Corvette
90 ZR-1 #854 and 1968 427/400 coupe
I have found a few, one at lowes.com
basically Im looking for some different ideas I didn't like the ones I have found.
im limited on space I have one wall of my garage I can use and its going to to take space in my second bay of the garage but that's ok..I am doing a restoration on my 69 so I need to be able to fit my frame and body in that bay from time to time I know not at the same time but I need to be able to get them in there..so the bench cant stick out to much maybe 20 inches for the tables base..

any ideas or websites out there

thanks

johnny

no matter what you buy or build make sure you have a large enough lip all around the work bench for any and all you your clamps to get a good hold on what you are working on. no lip=major frustration.

Another couple suggestions...

Locking casters on the bottom...so if need be, you can move it. You can still lag bolt it into the wall, and remove the lags if you need to move it.

If you are going to use draws, use 100 lb full access glides

Put in outlets...lots of outlets...Its a PITA if you have to keep plugging tools in and out.

Use old kitchen cabinets over the bench or two shelves using 2 x 10's and L brackets

I used kit cabinets, as workbench bases, from a large home center, then made my own tops, painted with many coats of white paint, for visibility and endurance. It was quick and the build quality is fine. I have shelves and drawers to hold/hide tools, parts, etc. On the sides, I used bridge cabinets, above rooflines, so car doors can open, unfettered.

The caster idea is great for limited, multi-function areas.

I used schedule 40 pvc pipe to pipe compressed air ll over my last garage, with many plug-ins. I also made a vertical, multi-pipe 'radiator' for air cooling and condensation control to my air tools. Electrical outlets: the cannot be too many.

No work bench is too long, even the 17 footer I had in my last house!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom