Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone Running Open Hooker Side Pipes on an LS-4???

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
I am thinking about pulling the glass packs out of my hookers and was wondering if anyone else is running them as open pipes?? I'd like to hear what it sounds like, or atleast get some feedback before I go unmounting the pipes (it's a PITA).

Thanks,
Dave

It's my ZZ-502 (a bit healthier than an LS-4) but I think you'll get the idea.

CLICK
:Silly

Well, I guess no one is... judging by the overwhelming response! Anyhow... if you are interested in what happened running open pipes on the LS-4, read on.

This morning I woke up, and it was 57 and sunny (in Chicago, on Dec. 31st). "what a great day to play with the Vette" I said to myself. My girlfriend made me some French Toast, and I did the dishes. Afterwards, she went shopping (and I got a big grin on my face). What a perfect time to take off the side pipes and see what this big block has to offer without restriction. I changed into my grubs (still wearing them as I type), and went down to the garage. I jacked her up and took off the rear wheel, the rocker, and the two bolts that hold on the side pipes. I loosened the clamp on the flange, a few squirts of WD-40 and twist a bit... and the pipe and glass pack insert came right off. Quick disconnect turned on... I called my buddy's phone (He is currently in Israel on a vacation.... I thought I would leave him a little audio present for his return Jan 3). I spoke slowly into his voicemail; "Ever hear a Big Block Corvette with open headers fire and lub lub lub away??" I said. Pause.... Turn the ignition...

:)
:D
;)
:dance
:drool:

The engine roared to life like I have never heard it do before today. It was LOUD... It was Obnoxious... the exhaust crackled and popped a little bit, and smoothed to a deep thunderous roll of power. I gave her some gas... Ohhh man... It was incredible. About this time I realized... I am still leaving a message on my friends answering machine. Hehehee. I put the phone back up to my mouth and said "need I say more?". I closed the phone, turned off the car. Went up stairs, and ordered two more side pipes, chrome, with no glass packs or mufflers (Unfortunately, the glass pack inserts are really wedged in there with no way to get them out). ;help me please, I am :crazy. :naughty:

For research sake, If anyone is interested in hearing the monstrosity via phone, please let me know and I will PM you my 800 #.

Happy New Year!
-Dave

67HEAVEN said:
It's my ZZ-502 (a bit healthier than an LS-4) but I think you'll get the idea.

CLICK
:Silly
LOL, we must have been typing at the same time. 67, do you run any muffler on your 502 now that she is complete?

67HEAVEN, yours sounded a lot like my open headers on my 350. At highway speed it hurt my ears. I know exactly why you guys had to shout at each other in the video.

Don't try this at home boys and girls - or at least not without ear plugs. You shoulda revved it at least a bit! I'd love to be your neighbor. We would wake the dead!!!

Skyguy007 said:
Don't try this at home boys and girls - or at least not without ear plugs. You shoulda revved it at least a bit! I'd love to be your neighbor. We would wake the dead!!!
I don't feel bad for most of them. I live in a town house, so things are even more pronounced when they are loud.

The guy on the right of me has a 12 year old who plays drums.
The guy across the street from me has 5 bikes... some of them are real loud.
The guy next to him has a Trans Am.

It's a loud neighborhood. We are right up against a major highway too.

Well,

I got the passenger side pipe off as well tonight. Both new side pipes have been installed (passenger side was a PITA for some reason). Sounds sick! Unreal! You can really hear the lopey cam in this ride... that along with the hydraulic roller rockers... man oh man!!

It's funny... the prominent sound from my car until this point was the gear driven timing. This thing is so loud, you can't even tell it's gear driven now. The throttle response is INSANE (and that's just sitting in the garage givin her 1/8 throttle!

I've always dreamed of having a car that sounded like this. I had no idea I already did!

After the permasmile started to relax it's stranglehold a bit, I picked up the old pipe and took a gander down there. There's about a 1 and 1/2 inch diameter passage for the exhaust to flow thru there. WTF was I thinking with these??? That's narower than the stock exhaust (and this is what gave the Monkey the look on his face).

Craig.... I was looking on the Spiral Turbo site... looks like there's a big block that picked up about 90 horse from removing the hooker inserts. I'd be willing to bet I picked up somewhere in that neighborhood. I guess we will find out when everything thaws out! Maybe I don't need that dual plane intake after all??!!!

Dave

Teehee... I made a wav file.

Don't know how to post it, but if you email me I can send you a copy.

So... A year later... Spiral Turbo's are on order.

TOO LOUD!!!!!

I'd still run 'em open, but if I want to take any long trips this coming season I wouldn't make it with intact ear drums!

Drove mine straight pipe on an 8 hour trip. Thought my ear drums were gonna blow up after awhile.

It got annoying especailly when your doing 120 for a long time.

Also got pulled over and a warning slip for noise pollution. It's fun to do once in awhile but not for long trips.

Gotta love that rumble oh yeah.

Well Dave you have two sets of tubes, try looking into chambered inserts for the quieter set there is a thread somewhere on CAC in the c1-c2 section about how to do it and Summit sells chambered pipe.
The loud pipes don't bother me as much I can't hear very well anyway;LOL

I wouldn't Mind Runing in to a Open Hooker!!;LOL :rotfl junk!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom