Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

April 2003 Motor Trend MAG

StillDreaming

Corvette
Living a dream...
All,

Motor Trend has more pictures of what they think the 2005 C6 will look like. Very similar to what we have seen before, but the front end looks better. Car is on the cover, with two pics inside. I would try to include pics but the pics that I would send are spread out on two pages, very difficult to scan. Looks like we are getting closer.

I read the mag. The back end looks like a latter C3. I don't
know how long it will take or if I'll ever warm up to the loss of
the pop up head lights in front.

How about that prediction of a 500hp z06 vette in 2007?

The article says the new v8 will be a displacement on demand.
I expected that, even though everyone says it won't happen.

I don't think they are too acurate (at least I hope not):dance

ROCKETBLOCK said:
I don't think they are too acurate (at least I hope not):dance
Hi ROCKETBLOCK. Welcome to the forum. :w

My roommate picked this up, just for the articles. I read it and yawn! That is the same thing i read last year. Why did Motor Trend have this as the cover story? There is NOTHING new! They must have just copy and pasted from the previous story i read, just like a few months ago.

I also dont see this as very "accurate" its been ALL speculation to this point, until i see some REAL photos on the track, from GM or something, all these pics are just concept drawnings. I am also not too impressed with them either.

Did Motor Trend need filler material on this issue? I really enjoyed the new cars in the front. But the vette articles needed help.

I hope the new C6 lives up to all our expectations.
John

Have the issue - 20 pages on Vettes. The two most disappointing and exciting are on the C6 prediction:

Disappointing designs. The front looks like a notchy early C4 with an aftermarket headlight conversion. The back looks like a Mako Shark II grafted onto '78 / '79 - tailights look interchangable with those years. Wrong kind of retro and not ground breaking new. Chevy: go all the way in one of these directions, not comprmise into an Aztek.

Exciting Specs. Could they possibly be right about 425HP in the "base" targa and convert - 500hp later for the Z06? For 28 years I've been able to open up the top to complete the driving expeience. No offence to Z06 owners, but for me the fixed head is too big a price to pay for the HP. I never thought I would pass (as I have) up on buying the best performing vette ever. Give me open air and 400+HP!

My only concern about all of these renderings of the C6, is that when Bob Lutz came on board to GM there was already a C6 design complete. Upon his observation of the design, it was scrapped and a new design was then begun. Is it possible, that all of these so call C6 pics are renditions of that original C6 design, and are really nothing at all like the real McCoy. Obviously, if you remeber the concept design in Motor Trend back in 95, it was a very close to the actual C5 with the exception of the bubble hump back light section. if you read "ALL CORVETTE'S ARE RED", you see the actual concept model with those bumps. Therefore the image was leaked out from GM. The motor Trend pic this month could never be the C6, because the back section hatch is not practical. Even the yellow photoshop C6 is really only a C5 with some ideas added to it. In keeping with the tradition of the corvette heritage, the C6 will not be a modified C5-or a modified XLR. It will be the next generation true american sportscar, designed and built for the true corvette lover in all of us. As far as I am concerned, I believe it will be the best interior and exterior ever placed in a mega horsepower display of American Muscle. I do not need rumors or assumptions. It will be a CORVETTE, and it will be the BEST. I'll wait with great anticipation for the actual arrival.

:Twist :dance :dance :dance :Twist :Twist

I hear you Dragonslayer, all of the renderings from MT, R&T, and C&D had those ugly, aftermarket-looking headlights. I think Lutz scrapped or ordered significant changes to the original C6 design because he thought it was too conservative or cheap looking. I have confidence in Lutz. Look at the designs he has endorsed since coming over -

The Solstice is a smooth nice design.
He has banned the tasteless rockerpannel ribs at Pontiac.
The new Grand Am comming up may be the style leader in it's class - also very smooth and tasteful.
He is dropping the Aztek.

Those designs are consistant with the yellow photoshop design all over this website - which itself is very inconsistant with all of the Magazine guesses.

Regardless, you say it well...

"As far as I am concerned, I believe it will be the best interior and exterior ever placed in a mega horsepower display of American Muscle. I do not need rumors or assumptions. It will be a CORVETTE, and it will be the BEST. I'll wait with great anticipation for the actual arrival."

:Steer :v

Out of everything that has been spoken recently about the design pics of the C6, etc., nobody has questioned: where are all the spyshots showing hot and cold weather testing? Where is the infamous Jim Dunne - automotive spy photographer?

Remember during C4 production we were seeing a lot of spy shots of the C5 test mules early on. The 2005 C6 should debut in about a year? I'm curious how come we haven't seen anything published other than artist renditions and photo-chopped images of what everyone thinks it will look like. :D

Rob said:
I'm curious how come we haven't seen anything published other than artist renditions and photo-chopped images of what everyone thinks it will look like. :D

Maybe GM is leaking out false information because they've got something big?

The advent of the C5 really propelled the Corvette into a bigger market, GM knows that and they're probably keeping hush about it, giving out just enough to keep us salivating.

I'd say that the C5 is such a terrific all around vehicle, topping it would be extremely difficult. Then again, topping the C4 was difficult.

Rob said:
Out of everything that has been spoken recently about the design pics of the C6, etc., nobody has questioned: where are all the spyshots showing hot and cold weather testing? Where is the infamous Jim Dunne - automotive spy photographer?

Remember during C4 production we were seeing a lot of spy shots of the C5 test mules early on. The 2005 C6 should debut in about a year? I'm curious how come we haven't seen anything published other than artist renditions and photo-chopped images of what everyone thinks it will look like. :D
This could be a mule for the C6 or the XLR. I think it would be very easy for GM to disguise the C6 mule using C5 body panels or even XLR body panels. The C4 was not so easy to disguise.
C6Pic3.jpg

Rob,

Blocker 44 posted the only "possible" spy shot I have seen. It's from one of the car mags. The roof looks like the fold down XLR roof to me. Could be a front C6 front clip, but why bother ...

The C6 will mount on the C5 chassis, most of the testing for suspension mods and drivetrain are probably running around the public streets right now with C5 bodies. We see no difference from the outside. Alot of the C6 body testing can and will be done in the wind tunnel. I think very minimum road testing would be required, because the chasis is proven.

I hope to God that the C6 looks like the Vette that Blocker44 posted!

I still find it so funny that spy shots are always so blurry. The black one blocker44 posted wasln't even moving when the pic was taken :eyerole

Vettelt193 said:
I still find it so funny that spy shots are always so blurry. The black one blocker44 posted wasln't even moving when the pic was taken :eyerole

Yeah, seems like all the "spy shots" are so poor that it takes a CIA photo analyst to figure out what it is. They all look like they were taken by the Hubble before it recieved corrective lenses.:L :L

vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom