Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aspirator Tube

JL66REDCPE

Corvette
1966 Red Cpe 427/425
It is a very late 1981 Bowling Green car with 30k miles. There is no aspirator tube coming from the catalytic converter to the air pump. There is also no provision on the catalytic converter for the tube either. I dont think the catalytic conv had been changed. Could someone check their car or comment on this. Thank you.

Rare is a St. Louis (Feb 81) and I know it has the return tube. I replaced the original (big pancake) cat with the new "flow thru" cat with a return tube ;)

I thought all cats had the return tube, I know a couple of the C4's I owned had the return tubes :confused

Bud

JL66REDCPE said:
It is a very late 1981 Bowling Green car with 30k miles. There is no aspirator tube coming from the catalytic converter to the air pump. There is also no provision on the catalytic converter for the tube either. I dont think the catalytic conv had been changed. Could someone check their car or comment on this. Thank you.

JL66,

When the aspirator tube was installed on my L81, it was "billed" as some sort of EPA-related recall. I remember that I took the car to Cochran & Celli in Oakland, CA, for it needed a correction in the carburetor for a stumble. When I picked-up the Vette, the repair ticket showed the details for the addition of the aspirator tube. I don't know if Chevrolet will still honor the compliance with the emissions requirement, but perhaps you could contact Chevrolet directly and ask...?;shrug

GerryLP:cool

Hello JL66

On which date was your 81 vette build? You can see it on the a pillar with the drivers door open. Mine is from August 8th and it has a aspirator tube. Maybe you could take some pictures? Because when you don't have the tube, to you have the original airpomp stuff on it and is the exit to the aircopomp blocked?

Groeten Peter.

The car was built sept 23, 1981. The car was missing the original air pump etc. We are trying to restore it back to original. The catalytic show no signs of being changed out. The car only has 30k miles. it is a 4 speed car.

I think you got a very nice question only the original 81 factoryworkers can answer. Maybe you can check the cat if it has a number or so, maybe by that way you can track down of it's the original or not.
I don't find it that strange your 81 didn't have a tube but what happend to the exit hose in the airpomp stuff. But if your airpomp with everything was taken off this will be a very difficult thing to do.
Good luck with the restoration of the engine compartment :)

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom