Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Assembly Plant Tours

Tom73

Corvette
73 LS4 Coupe - 04 CE Conv
I see from the NCM site that the assembly plant tours resumed on April 22nd. Was wondering if the C6 is now on the line? With the plant tours being down for such a long time and just resuming I would assume that they were down for the change over and that now the C6 is in production and the tours have resumed. But, more then likely, I am missreading this.

tom...

Earlier this month, the C5's and C6's were being built simultaneously in what was termed a 'concurrent build.' That means that periodically (and probably unpredictably for a visitor), there were C6's interspersed on the line along with the C5's during what was/is both a production and transition period,

The C6's are not sale cars, that doesn't start until early July, iirc, but unless something has changed very recently and the concurrent build is no longer in force, there may be some on the line. When, specifically, is another matter.

AFAIK, traditionally everyone in the plant goes on vacation around 2nd/3rd week of June for several weeks. The plant is completely closed for the complete retooling and they start up the week after the 4th of July

c5vetter said:
... traditionally everyone in the plant goes on vacation around 2nd/3rd week of June for several weeks. The plant is completely closed for the complete retooling and they start up the week after the 4th of July
I have stoped by the factory a couple of time while in route to Bloomington Gold show. This was generaly the next to last week of June and the factory was open and running. But it was the end of that model year. They were going to shut down the last week of June and first week of July for the model change over. But this was just a routine model year change, not a change to a new platform. So with the C6 there is not telling when the major change over will occure :)

tom...

I just went on the tour this past Friday, May 7th. They are building C5's and C6's at the same time. It was mainly C5's. We also saw some of the Cadillac's being built. Before our tour started we also had an engineer come down and answer questions. Naturally, he couldn't comment about the good questions such as what can you tell us about the Blue Devil, how much horsepower will the new Z06 have, etc.

That's the 'concurrent build' of which I spoke.

The C6's use a different towveyor, but they're sequenced in intermittently, and the parts to assemble them are at the work stations tagged or in bins with hot pink labels to keep them from being mistaken for C5 parts.

Again, these are part of the validation process and are not sale cars. That phase wasn't expected to start until after the July holiday break, last time I checked.

I saw one being built while I was there during the C5/C6 Birthday Bash. I happened to in the right place at the right time when Plant Manager Will Cooksy pulled up at the museum in a C6. He said that not all the C6 parts are ready to go and also said, like RWD said, none of these cars are to be sold.

rwd said:
That's the 'concurrent build' of which I spoke.

The C6's use a different towveyor, but they're sequenced in intermittently, and the parts to assemble them are at the work stations tagged or in bins with hot pink labels to keep them from being mistaken for C5 parts.

Again, these are part of the validation process and are not sale cars. That phase wasn't expected to start until after the July holiday break, last time I checked.
I was there on Friday. Saw about three C6s on the line. But there were about 5 or 6 at the end of the line that they were checking out. As you said, these are not sale cars, just being built for validation. The guide said that the C6 would start building For Sale cars about July 22nd.

Wonder what they do with thes validation cars?

By the way, on my way back to Texas today, I saw a C6 on I40 in Arkansas just east of Little Rock. It was headed east. Was a gray/silver coupe.

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom