Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Assembly/startup problems-questions

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
Ive had some issues pop up lately that I really just need opinions and advice on, since Ive never been confronted with such a problem.
I'm ready to start up my motor for the first time in 9 months.
Last week, while installing the Alt brackets, the upper bolt broke off in the block. I have both the stamped 71 and the cast mid-70s Alt brackets. I have stock Alt mount manifolds on the car right now, but only to save the finish on my ceramic headers during cam break-in.

My questions:

Will a car run without an Alternator hooked up? I know it would run with the belt cut, but would it run with no alternator at all? (would it need the piece there to complete a circuit?)

Can a water pump run and not leak with only 3 bolts securing it? The reason I ask is because I have just got everything back together, and Im not wanting to pull it apart to drill that broken bolt off til I absolutely have to.
Since I have the cast bracket, Id like to mount the weight of the alternator to that, tap threads in the water pump itself, and install the upper bracket to the waterpump itself (not through to the block) to stabilize and tension the alternator.
Then If this fails, remove the radiator, core support, and fan etc and drill the bolt out and replace it as my last resort.
Is this a bad idea?

Another issue that Ive recently come across, is that I cant have my manifolds and the cast bracket on at the same time cause they wont fit together, which brings me back to the first question of the car running minus the alternator. Im not getting any spark and I think this is why, there no alternator at all in there.

Should I just put the headers on now and save myself the Alternator/manifold trouble, and say screw the finish on the headers?

dshanks said:
Ive had some issues pop up lately that I really just need opinions and advice on, since Ive never been confronted with such a problem.
I'm ready to start up my motor for the first time in 9 months.
Last week, while installing the Alt brackets, the upper bolt broke off in the block. I have both the stamped 71 and the cast mid-70s Alt brackets. I have stock Alt mount manifolds on the car right now, but only to save the finish on my ceramic headers during cam break-in.

My questions:

Will a car run without an Alternator hooked up? I know it would run with the belt cut, but would it run with no alternator at all? (would it need the piece there to complete a circuit?)

Can a water pump run and not leak with only 3 bolts securing it? The reason I ask is because I have just got everything back together, and Im not wanting to pull it apart to drill that broken bolt off til I absolutely have to.
Since I have the cast bracket, Id like to mount the weight of the alternator to that, tap threads in the water pump itself, and install the upper bracket to the waterpump itself (not through to the block) to stabilize and tension the alternator.
Then If this fails, remove the radiator, core support, and fan etc and drill the bolt out and replace it as my last resort.
Is this a bad idea?

Another issue that Ive recently come across, is that I cant have my manifolds and the cast bracket on at the same time cause they wont fit together, which brings me back to the first question of the car running minus the alternator. Im not getting any spark and I think this is why, there no alternator at all in there.

Should I just put the headers on now and save myself the Alternator/manifold trouble, and say screw the finish on the headers?

I would never start up a new engine without exhaust and mufflers. Any problem would never be heard. I would finish off everything befor starting it. Also the alterator isnt required for spark just a fully charged battery.

redvett said:
I would never start up a new engine without exhaust and mufflers. Any problem would never be heard. I would finish off everything befor starting it. Also the alterator isnt required for spark just a fully charged battery.

It will have exhaust fully hooked up either way. I planned to run the manifolds only during the cam breakin, then immediately swap them for headers right after the breaking/tuning

So the bundle of wires that would normally go to the alternator can just be hanging there not hooked to anything? No circuit needed?

dshanks said:
So the bundle of wires that would normally go to the alternator can just be hanging there not hooked to anything? No circuit needed?

Correct. Just keep the battery charged. And from the first post, fix the water pump bolt now. Don't take the belt off because the bolt is broke. Put the headers on now, it shouldn't ruin them. Like Redvett is saying, fix it before you start.

Craig

dshanks said:
Im not getting any spark and I think this is why, there no alternator at all in there.

Check the coil.

Initial start-up

All good advice. Here's my 2c worth as well. Make sure there's enough water in the engine. The easiest way to proceed is to remove the thermostat and use that opening to fill with the proper mixture of water/antifreeze. Not rocket-science but is extremely important, and if you're wondering, yes that's why I am reminding you.
And like the others said: fix the broken bolt now for 2 reasons. #1 is you'll never have a more convenient time to do it, and #2 is when you finally get that beautiful beast on the road, you won't WANT to break it down again.
good luck and save the wave,
Mark '72 Stingray BMW Black
Chev Crate 385 Fastburn
L88 Hood, 255/front, 275/rear
Custom alum exh, 3row alum rad
M20 :( Hurst 4spd (hate it)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom