Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Astro Vent drain??? Plumbing

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
I am working in the back end of my 74 convert. The vent behind the convertible top has 2 holes about 1 inch in diameter in the bottom of the vent pan. I am sure they are to let water out. My question is " What is connected to the holes?" On my car there is nothing connected to the holes. Water would simply flush thru and fall on top of the tire carrier. Should there be some sort of plumbling attached to these holes? What would it look like? etc.....

No plumbing I know of. Just dumps onto ground. Must make sure they are kept clear or they can back up into interior compartment through cracks.

OK just seemed like naked holes that needed some way to gracefully move the water to the ground. I can live with that cause I do not need extra work. My list of tasks is already long. Thanks for the answer.

More research required.... I checked several parts suppliers, a diagram on Corvette central that shows the hose and shield. Claims to fit 68-75. Problem is it shows the plenum hole on the end and mine are in the bottom. Plus looks like the shield goes thru the body to the wheel well. No hole in my wheel well. Eckler's has a picture of drain & shield but not sure how it would attach. I ordered a 1974 assembly manual but it is backorderd. Need a better picture or someone with a 74 they know has all the parts.

That hose and all is for the coupe. The conv vents are behind the rear bulkhead and just drain to the ground. (Coupes vents are ahead of the bulkhead and must have a drain system.)

tom...

Possibly the discrepancy between the two AIMs is that that the rear bulkhead was moved forward in '73 (I think). Might have been '72 .

The drain hardware for convertibles might have changed at that time.
I used to wonder why the earlier coupes seemed to have more room to store the T-Tops........:beer

I have an early 74 coupe-- sept 73-- and there are no drains for the rear grills - - but the manual does show the short hose dumping outside the tire carrier perimeter...not into the rear wheel well - -it's my understanding that the early cars simply didn't have drains . .
CQRT in AZ

CQRT said:
I have an early 74 coupe-- sept 73-- and there are no drains for the rear grills - - but the manual does show the short hose dumping outside the tire carrier perimeter...not into the rear wheel well - -it's my understanding that the early cars simply didn't have drains . .
CQRT in AZ

Do you have AC?

i have a/c and also the blower for the rear window. and no drains for the rear grills.

robin

My car is the same as Robin's - - coupe with grills, AC and no drains.
Rollie

Thanks for all the input. Mine is a convert with no air. I can see that the water could fall straight to the ground from the holes. The design is such that it would be hard to plug the drain with leaves and such falling thru the grill. This might be what the designer was trying to acomplish. On the other hand the water is splashing around the under side of the car. Maybe thats not bad. I am going to think about some sort of plumbing to steer the water to the ground. Low on my priority list. Since the only water this car is likely to see is the wash and wax varrity. thanks again.

CW what part of memphis are you in?

bartlett class of "75"

robin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom