Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Attention all with flat tappet cams

Sensei

Corvette
'81 dark blue
I'm sure alot of you may already be aware of this, but I am surprised by how many people, even full time mechanics that pride themselves on keeping up to date that have not heard yet. The EPA recently required oil companies to remove the zinc from motor oils as it damages catalytic converters. Zinc is a lubricant that roller tappet engines can do without, but flat tappet camshafts are getting wiped left and right. Shell Rotella T oil (made for deisel trucks) and Valvoline racing oil still have zinc. Other than that, you need an additive. God bless, Sensei

Thanks sensei. Do you know if Lucas Oil stabalizer contains Zinc?

Zinc-d is found in Mechanics Brand Engine Tune Up, K Mart Super Oil Treatment, and STP Engine Treatment With XEP2

Got this info off the web

Sensei said:
I'm sure alot of you may already be aware of this, but I am surprised by how many people, even full time mechanics that pride themselves on keeping up to date that have not heard yet. The EPA recently required oil companies to remove the zinc from motor oils as it damages catalytic converters. Zinc is a lubricant that roller tappet engines can do without, but flat tappet camshafts are getting wiped left and right. Shell Rotella T oil (made for deisel trucks) and Valvoline racing oil still have zinc. Other than that, you need an additive. God bless, Sensei

Sensei,

Thank you for the helpful info. I just installed my replacement cam this afternoon and used moly lube on the lobes and GM E.O.S assembly lube on the "bearing" areas.

I did NOT know about the zinc content in oil, and I was planning to use Castrol, but will now switch to something else... likely Valvoline. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for the info --- wiping this cam would be a bummer to say the least.

This is good information. There is an article regarding that in May or Junes issue of HOT ROD magazine......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom