Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto X ray

Inertia 500

Corvette
1986 dark red coupe Z-51
I just learned something interesting that I thought I would pass along.

I have an early 1986 coupe with the iron head engine. I bought an Auto X ray E Z Link code scanner. I configured it per the instructions for an 86 model Corvette. All the readings were way off, for instance, RPM at idle was 6500 rpm, coolant temp when the car had not been run in 24 hours was 274 degrees F, intake air temp was -36 degrees F, a trouble code 42 was shown which didn't exist when I put the ECM into diagnostic mode with a jumper, etc. Called Auto X ray customer support and they were clueless. So I changed the configuration to 1985 model and now it works properly.

Maybe the early 86 iron head cars share software with the 85 models?

That is very interesting. I dont know how that could happen. You might want to confer with GM about that. Perhaps your car and some others actually recieved old software.

I'll bet the Auto X-Ray doesn't know that there were two different variations for the '86 model year. By going to the previous year it has "reverted" and is getting proper readings.

It could be the data rate at which the ECM's communicate. The '82 and '84 model years used a slower data rate. I'm not sure when GM switched the the higher data rate it may have been when they switched from iron to aluminum heads.

:w

They switched in 86.....the 85 was very slow and very limited.....have to admit, thats pretty strange.
I have the Auto ex-ray also...worked fine on my 85.

Well I have an 86 with Al heads. I used software to scan my car, and I also did my brothers car. I noticed he had more variable's to watch, and more options too look at. So I put the software back on my car, with his info, and it worked fine, and gave me the extra options I didn't previously have.

I have an 85 4+3 z-51.
I also bought the Autoxray. It has not worked properly and Auto xray cannot find the reason. It might be that I have the stage 4 TPIS chip in.
I used the auto xray at the 86 and up and tried it in some friends cars and it worked properly.
I think there was a change in the ECM at the 86 independent of iron heads.

The last three characters in the 85 model ECM is 870 and for the 86 it is 165

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom