Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AVIC-N2 installed

Wegone

Corvette
82,91 ZR-1,
dash1.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash3.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash5.jpg

Sorry posted in the wrong section..If one of the mods could move this:)

as you can tell I need GPS I get lost very easy :D Guess this is part of getting old..

Wegone,
Before I read you're second post, I was going to ask why were were posting this in the C6 forum- I'd recognize that C5 dash cluster anywhere. :L

Not to worry... I'll move this for you.

Very nice set up, by the way. Can you give us an expanation for how difficult installation was, and how easy or difficult it is to operate?

:w
-Patrick

Operation of the unit is very simple use touch screen of just tell her what you want.

Was actually very simple. The only thing I had to modify was I removed the stand-offs for the radio than reshimmed for the HVAC unit depth and a few new holes in the plastic mounting tabs.

The AVIC unit had to be shimmed out some, I moved it as close to the top as possible so it would clear the shifter, the face plate fit up under the cross bar on the dash plate and filled in the space under the HVAC unit.

No mods needed to any wires or plugs the HVAC opening is a bit deeper than the radio opening.

The faceplate was a generic filler plate. Everything else came with the unit. I did have to have a kit (sound gate bose interface) to hook into the Bose speakers.

It took most of the day to work out the install I mounted the GPS unit under the glove box

Speed sensor hookup…. There is a green/white wire on the Radio harness; this is not the speed sensor wire it is a speaker wire.

After some, disassemble of the dash of course with the service Manual in hand! I found the right green/white wire. It goes to the plug on the back of the instrument cluster. Actually there are two green/whites, one is for the Oil Temp the other is the speed sensor wire.

After unplugging the connector from the cluster you will find two green/white stripe wires, you will want the Green/white (A7-circuit 817) with a Tan/white (A6-circuit 33) above it and a black (A8-circuit 150 ) below it..The other green/white (A10-circuit 357) oil temp has a blank and a gray on each side.

pin..wire
A5 Blank….
A6…Tan/White
A7 Speed Sensor…Green/White
A8…Black
A9 Blank
A10 Oil Temp…Green/White
A11…Gray

got the DVD to work by routing the video output to the rear camera plug and adding a switch to the backup wire.

1.) Connect the Parking Brake lead from the hide-away unit directly to ground.
2.) Connect the Reverse-Signal lead from the hide-away unit to a switch near your seat that your can activate while driving. Connect the other side of the switch to 12V power.
3.) Loop the video output from the top of the hide-away unit into the rear-view camera input on the bottom of the hide-away unit.
4.) In the AVIC-N2 initial setup screen, turn on the rear-view camera feature.
there will be a text message at the bottom of the screen that's meant for actual rear-view cam use, something to the effect of "CAUTION: IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_192089333,00.html

Sweet looking unit! Nicely done Steve :cool The install looks like it was done at BG, very neat! I'll bet it beats the heck out of MapQuest!

:beer Tom

U Da Man

You have the exact same hook that I want. I want to move the HVAC just like you did. Plan on picking up my AVIC next month. A couple of questions:

When you say you "shimmed" what does that mean?

What is the unit behind your ash tray door? If it is a center speaker what model?

Thanks

VETSTYL

VETSTYL said:
You have the exact same hook that I want. I want to move the HVAC just like you did. Plan on picking up my AVIC next month. A couple of questions:

When you say you "shimmed" what does that mean?

What is the unit behind your ash tray door? If it is a center speaker what model?

Thanks

VETSTYL

(Shimmed) Had to add some spacers behind the mounting tabs on both units so they would be even with the dash plate. The metal ones for the radio were to thick for the AC unit so I had to remove them.

Ash tray..That’s my garage door opener the small switch to the right is for the parking brake bypass

tomtom72 said:
Sweet looking unit! Nicely done Steve :cool The install looks like it was done at BG, very neat! I'll bet it beats the heck out of MapQuest!

:beer Tom

Thanks Tom At least now I can always find my way home ;)

Nice Job!

i dont mean to revive such an old thread but i am currently about to install the same in-dash in my z06 and was wondering where u bought your installing kit. i have yet to find a corvette specific installing plate. also, i noticed u said something about buying a wiring harness or something for the bose. What is that, where can i buy it, and how much does it cost?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom