Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[B]Brakes Failed![/B]

H

Hijinx

Well, on the way to the office yesterday my brakes failed. Thanks to the new suspension, I was able to do a little fancy driving and kept from crashing. Whew!:eek

Anyhow, took it to a guy I know, and trust, to work on the brake problem. To make a long story short, he is having trouble figuring out what's wrong. First thought was the master cylinder. Replaced that, but still having a problem. The Power Booster seems to be working fine. One really odd thing is that the rear res had very little fluid in it. I checked it a week ago and it was full. I have no fluid on the garage floor, he cant find a leak and yes he did check the power booster. We're stumped! He is calling a few people and still checking, but.......

Has anyone seen this before. OH, he did note a lot of air in the right front brake line. He said he had heard of the early 4 piston calipers sucking air when they went bad. Could that be it?

Have you rebuilt the calipers lately? Vette Brakes offers an "O Ring" style instead on the standard lip-seal. This has stopped the small leak I had, and has given me the best braking performance I've ever had. You can rebuild the calipers yourself. It's a very easy job with using the O Rings.

Rick

Did you air bleed the master cylinder?
You have to clamp the master cylnider in a vice and with a master cylinder bleeder kit, bleed it. You may have had a large air pocket in the MC.

Well, I picked it back up this morning. Looks like the spring behind piston in the right front caliper is shot and not holding it against the pad. Left rear is leaking onto the pad and its sucking up all the fluid and burning it off. That's why I have no fluid on the ground. I'll call VBP to see if their rebuild kits will help me. I need to replace the hard lines anyhow. Not sure if these are the original calipers. May have the local Vette shop check them for me. I at least have brakes now. Seems that this problem had siphoned air into the lines and that was causing my failure. Nice to be able to stop now!

Go to the stainless cups if you can. They will not be harmed by the moisture you get in any brake system. I did the conversion about ten years ago and my brakes have never had a problem. I would not go to the silicon brake fluid however. I understand, that the silicon fluid will begin to boil at high altitude. Here in California, if you drive up to Yosemite the fluid could start to boil-up. I also installed the braided brake hoses. They will not expand, when you need to stand on the brakes. A good investment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom