Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bad rear Suspension Shims (Alignment)

Silver81Vette

Corvette
1981 Silver T-Top (St. Louis Car)
I recently took my 81 to NTB for an alignment and of course new rubber. I had asked for a front and rear end alignment (since the guy probably didnt take care of this issue either before I bought it) SO... I go to pick up my car, and the guy at NTB says that he couldnt do the rear alignment because the shims are rusted. Although he could do the front, he said no way he could do the rear, and told me to take it somewhere to get the shims replaced. Anyone have this problem too? And is it a PITA to replace, or maybe a cost to get this issue fixed. Thanks in advance!

Very few alignment shops have Corvette rear toe shims in stock - you usually have to take your own. Most of them won't even work on the rear toe on a '63-'82, since it can be such a disaster if the pivot bolts are rusted into the bushings and it turns into an ugly time & material job, tying up their alignment rack for hours while they Sawzall the old bolts out (which they don't have either). Find an alignment shop that knows Corvettes, and take a fat wallet with you. :)

Hi Silver81Vette, the two bolts and the shims are rusted together after so many years, Order a rear control stainless shim set with the bolts and two new cotter pins, then saw off the old bolts and remove the rusty shims and replace them with new and then the alignment shop will know that they won't spend the hours removing everything that you did and then they will take car of you. This adjustment will take care of your toe.
You might consider after market strut rods, they easy adjust the camber. PG

The problem with only doing the front end alignment and not the rear alignment as well, is that if you fix the rear shims timely (i.e. in a week or so), you'll have to get a 4-wheel alignment again, so paying for that front alignment evaporates into the "wasted money" cloud corner of "If I only knew" personal unpleasant experiences.

The front alignment depends on how the rear end is tracking.

But I agree with some of the other comments here as well. A lot of these shops don't want to bother with trying to fix the problem. I had one shop in Rio Rancho return my front end alignment charge, for not telling me of this fact, when they chose not to correct the problem with my Vette.

How far out was the rear? You've got a little bit to play with before replacing t-arm shims.

:)

The problem with only doing the front end alignment and not the rear alignment as well, is that if you fix the rear shims timely (i.e. in a week or so), you'll have to get a 4-wheel alignment again, so paying for that front alignment evaporates into the "wasted money" cloud corner of "If I only knew" personal unpleasant experiences.

The front alignment depends on how the rear end is tracking.

But I agree with some of the other comments here as well. A lot of these shops don't want to bother with trying to fix the problem. I had one shop in Rio Rancho return my front end alignment charge, for not telling me of this fact, when they chose not to correct the problem with my Vette.
If you align the front to specs, how would the rear alignment change that?

If you align the front to specs, how would the rear alignment change that?

The rear alignment changes the vehicle's rear wheel thrust line, and the front wheel alignment is based on the rear wheel thrust line.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom