Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Barret Jackson -- 98 Indy 500 $100k!!

Mr Cowl Hood

Corvette
04 CTS-V, some mods
Anyone else see that 98, Indy 500 Pace Car fetch $100,000!!!???

That was one clean pace car for sure! I was very impressed by how it's value climbed so well. Is the owner on this forum by chance?:cool

Vett-Less said:
If you paid that much for a car would you actually take it out and litteraly drive the value out of it?

Most cars do not appreciate in value. Even if you trailor the car off the lot as soon as it is off the lot it looses it's value in most cases, so why would you drive a vette you just paid 100k who's value is on the rice? It would be smarter to go buy a brand new fully optioned Z06 before devaluing that 98.

As far as the fat comment, don't be so sure, I weigh in at over 400 pounds and my 99 is my daily driver, and it is a 6 speed I am faily comfortable even when I drove it 400 miles from Georgia to Mississippi in just over 5 and 1/2hrs with one 15 minute stop to get a drink and a bite to eat from a gas station.

I absolutly detest people who form opinions about others based on race, sex or in this case weight.

I found the auction. The reason that it went for that much is because it was a track use car with documentation. Only 3 cars get made up for track use. One goes to the winner of the race, one goes to the track and it looks like, in this instance, one went back to GM.

Just like any vette, documentation increases the value. Would you buy a '67 L-88 just on someone's say-so that it was the real McCoy? Several years down the road this car may be worth about the same or more depending on the market at the time. My guess is that the buyer is going to put it into a collection and it will not be driven much if at all.

Hey Vette-less this is the second time I have seen you post the same text, what's your issue, you young and about lose your hair and gain 50lb's....

Ease up, and make some useful contributions in here instead of slagging some peaple, oh yeah and some of those guys you mention are probably some of the most knowledgable about vette's, and you may need thier advice one day....

And aside from that your makin Toronto look bad man.

Mart

yellow_2002_germany said:
I found the auction. The reason that it went for that much is because it was a track use car with documentation. Only 3 cars get made up for track use. One goes to the winner of the race, one goes to the track and it looks like, in this instance, one went back to GM.

Just like any vette, documentation increases the value. Would you buy a '67 L-88 just on someone's say-so that it was the real McCoy? Several years down the road this car may be worth about the same or more depending on the market at the time. My guess is that the buyer is going to put it into a collection and it will not be driven much if at all.

I didn't have the link, I just saw it on TV last weekend. I am glad you researched it and passed on the info. Now, is that true? There are only three truly, Pace Car editions? How is it that I see a lot of them running around on the street. In fact there's a local one that is SC'd and the owner shows it locally.

Are there an official group of them and then GM spits them out as replica's?? I am very curious. Oh, and by the way I didn't start this thread to fuel what's his name to bash vette owners. Someone needs a hobby, I guess.:eyerole

Y2K was STRESSING that ONLY three PACE CARS are "specially equipped for the Indy 500" - this is a TRUE statement. The one that was auctioned by BJ, was one of those three.

The one that you have seen running around on the street was one of the cars GM "cloned" if you will as PACE CARS, but they DO NOT have the TOTAL "INDY 500" package on them. Mainly, they have the STICKER package, color, etc.

I watched the Barrett Jackson auction too. As stated, it was 1 of 3 cars prepped for actual Indy 500 pace car use. They also stated who drove it during the pace car portion of the race....I want to say Parnelli Jones, but between watching Sebring and the auction, I wouldn't want to bet on it.

The car was from a GM collection of surplus cars that GM didn't have room for in a new museum. The car had the amber light board, but they didn't say if any engine/suspension mods were part of the real pace car set-up.

Hey Vett-Less.....maybe if you put as much effort into earning some $ as you do complaining about others who have, you'd be able to change your Forum name :eyerole

Brett

Vett-Less said:
So what exactly do you object to? Their physical condition, the fact that they can afford them, or their investment knowledge? You're in sales, according to your profile. If you display this attitude to your potential customers, I can't imagine that you're having great success. Is that why you're vette-less? Or perhaps you're in a McSales position at your nearby fast food operation. In any event, please remove your location from your profile. You're embarrassing this Canadian.

c5vetter is right. Three cars are made into track use cars no matter what car is actually used. The manufacturer can then decide to make or not make any pace car replicas. When the Oldsmobile Aurora was used in 1997 Olds made only a half attempt at a replica for the masses. The decal package was not at all what the track use cars looked like and the paint was different as well. In 1996 when the Dodge Viper Coupe was used I don't believe Dodge made any replicas for the masses.

When the 2003 Corvette paced the 2002 race Chevy didn't make ANY replicas for the masses. However, an after market maker has made a decal package for the 50th anny cars that can be installed. However, no official replicas came from Chevy. At the other end of the spectrum, in '86 the track use car was a yellow vette convertible. Chevy only made 300 yellow verts from the factory but designated ALL '86 vette convertibles as pace car replicas no matter the color and included a decal package to be dealer or buyer installed.

The special equipment that is added to any track use pace car at least includes a roll bar, 5-point seat belts, strobe lights, a communication system and onboard fire extinguisher system. These items are required for track safety. Other performance items that were added to the '98 I believe included a power steering fluid cooler, a heavy duty tranny and a free flow exhaust.

Vett-Less said:
Vett-Less said:
If a moderator wanders by and bans you before I submit this post it won't be too soon.

This is exactly the type of childish nonsense that we do not need around here.

Hey Vette-less just what is your prob, we have a great group here that really does not give a damn what each other looks like,

The only thing thing that really matters is that we respect each other as vette owners which is what this site is for.

Hey we all have beef about one thing or another, for instance I hate Fords but I can still respect those guys in them behind me. he he.Sorry ford owners.

If you can't play nice, leave..... Toronto.

Let's get back to the original intent and comment by:
Mr Cowl Hood said:
Anyone else see that 98, Indy 500 Pace Car fetch $100,000!!!???

That was one clean pace car for sure! I was very impressed by how it's value climbed so well. Is the owner on this forum by chance?

Thank you ;)
Bud Dougherty
CAC Forums Administrator

yellow_2002_germany said:

The special equipment that is added to any track use pace car at least includes a roll bar, 5-point seat belts, strobe lights, a communication system and onboard fire extinguisher system. These items are required for track safety. Other performance items that were added to the '98 I believe included a power steering fluid cooler, a heavy duty tranny and a free flow exhaust.
I agree - they also had stobe lights installed in enlarged headrest shrouds to make the pace cars easy to see from the race machines. Parnelli did drive the pace car after Greg Norman backed out, as I recall - my son and I saw the race for his high school grad present. When we saw that pace car I resolved the C5 would someday be my first Vette.

Like all the C5 pace cars including the 2004, the '98 required very little to make it pace car ready.

Vette-less,

You have been banned at other Corvette web sites, and I'm giving you fair warning right here and now: you're on thin ice here as well. I do not have tolerance for bull****. Tone it down, or you're out of here. End of story.

Amen. Now, can someone explain to me just how a 98 Pace could be worth that much money? I didn't see the auction. Was it, like, zero miles??

-Mac

special

Mac said:
Amen. Now, can someone explain to me just how a 98 Pace could be worth that much money? I didn't see the auction. Was it, like, zero miles??

-Mac
No, at least 1/500 of a mile:L ....but I digress.

I think 02 Germany / Moval explained it best, being the one of three that was actually fitted for pacing the race and being just plain rare. Kudos to the guy who got that one. It's a real collector!!:cool

I agree that the car was a real collectable but I'm pretty sure that my 100K would buy another Vette if I had it.

Of course, this guy probably had a lot more money and a lot of other cars in the garage, so it's a good deal for him.

If history is any indication, this car will go WAY up in value over the years.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom