Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Barry any paint update?

Sting Ray

Corvette
1967 Red Convertible
Have you had any luck with paint yet?

Just wondering haven't heard anything in a couple of days.

Tom M

Hi Tom

still waiting..........
SIGH :hb

I spoke to my painter yesterday (3rd time this week) and the latest status is that the last panel he sprayed (with the lacquer paint we have that matches) he sent to the paint supplier and they have sent it onto Autocolorlibrary. Autocolor library than called back and requested my car VIN# to make sure they have the correct year for the Milano Maroon color to match against. Autocolorlibrary has not been able to get the correct formula either for our paint supplier to mix but they have been getting progressively closer. The last 1/2 pint sample our supplier got us earlier this week was actually pretty close. When my painter looked at it he thought we finally had it mixed correctly and even the metallic level was just right - not too much and it was very fine flakes as it's suppose to be but when he checked it against the correct color lacquer we have he saw it was still off so they are still working on it.
I'm not surprised that our local paint supplier may not have had an opportunity to have to mix this color in the past but I AM surprised that Autocolorlibrary is having such a hard time with this - Milano Maroon isn't all that of a rare color.

If we were re-doing the car in lacquer again it would have been finished already, but getting the color mixed correctly with the basecoat paints is really giving us fits! :mad

I just drove my wife to the grocery store and it is a beautiful day out - this is when I start to get really impatient for my car. I should be out driving her today instead of worrying about when we are finally going to get the correct paint to finish her. Over the winter when it was cold it wasn't a problem, but now that the weather is getting nice I want my car back!

I have my fingers and my toes crossed that hopefully next week we will get the proper paint and my painter can start spraying.
If not, than I will just have to wait a bit longer........

Barry

Barry

Barry,
With respect, bite the bullet. Some 99.9% of the population won't know the difference. And the car will not be judged as you have noted. I must say you have the patience of Job!! Just get that paint on and enjoy the Corvette on the road!

Hi Paul

I fully accept that getting the paint exactly as it was in 1965 lacquer with todays modern paint isn't going to happen, but we do want to get it as close as possible.
The samples we have gotten from the paint supplier have not even been close to a proper Milano Maroon color though - except for the last sample batch which was close but not close enough. They are making progress though and I expect that within the next week or so we should have paint that is close enough to be acceptable and than we start painting.
What we DON'T want is a color tint that is off enough that I know the difference or other C2 owners would know the difference. If it's not as close as possible and we just accept "any" color the supplier sends us than it will bother me every single time I look at the car knowing it's wrong. I realize that getting a perfect match to the original lacquer color to the most precise correctness isn't going to happen, but after 7 months of getting the body as perfect as possible i'm willing to have a bit more patience to know the job is finished as good as it can be done. Why spend months getting the body looking great if the color is going to be way off??!!
Mostly, i'm not at all concerned with 99.9% of the population - it's MY car and I want it to be done as good as we can get it for my own satisfaction and happiness.

at this rate though your car may be done before mine............ ;LOL

Barry

Barry,
I was not intending to be negative. But I can just about taste your impatience after 7 months and with the warm winds blowing. I guess that I am rooting for you in a sense!

I haven't seen my car for about two weeks. Perhaps this week I will have a peek. We had wet snow on the weekend so the weather is still sub-Corvette-critical.

Paul

I know you were not being negative and believe me, I am VERY impatient to get my car back, but my need to make sure it's done correctly overrides any impatience. i'll have to live with this paintjob for probably 15 years or so, which is a real good motivator to make sure it's done correctly now.
:)

BarryK said:
Paul

I know you were not being negative and believe me, I am VERY impatient to get my car back, but my need to make sure it's done correctly overrides any impatience. i'll have to live with this paintjob for probably 15 years or so, which is a real good motivator to make sure it's done correctly now.
:)

And after you get it right, the real fun begins. A few hundred guys with off-color Milano Maroon cars wil always be available to ask you, "Are you sure this is Milano Maroon?";)

Personally, I think you are absolutely correct in being sure that it is what YOU want. Keep hangin in, Barry.

ZRGator said:
And after you get it right, the real fun begins. A few hundred guys with off-color Milano Maroon cars wil always be available to ask you, "Are you sure this is Milano Maroon?";)

I'll be looking at their cars than and wondering the same thing myself.....
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom