Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Battery drain

03convert

I have a battery that drains off when parked for a few days. This is a 2003 C5. The battery is 6 months old and I have had it tested by two different shops that varify it is good. In addition, I've had the alternater tested and it is good. When checking for a drian on the battery, I removed the ground and placed a test light between the negative terminal and the cable. The light was bright. While removing fuses one at a time I soon found that fuse #25 from the fuse panel under the pasenger floor board (labled BCM) when removed the test light went out. That is as far as my old school hot rod smarts took me. any suggestions on what to do to get fix the drain issue?

Many of us keep a good Cetek charger on the car if it isn't going to be driven for a few days........shouldn't be necessary but these cars just seem to draw juice which I've always thought is poor thinking in the engineering phase. In any event that's what I do is use the charger primarily as a maintainer. Get a decent phase charger and problem solved.

Hi I had a problem of my battery going dead checked out system all was good! by accident I found the mirror light on driver-side switch was damaged and the light was saying on unnoticed and would drain battery when car was parked for few days since I disconnected the light had no more problems have left car for two weeks while I was on holidays and it started right up I have a 2002 C5 conv not saying this is your problem but you could just check it out have a great day IRISH KELLY

The question begs to be asked: Since #25 protects the BCM did you go any further from that? Perhaps the BCM is what has the problem? Perhaps it's something that the BCM controls? Is it possible to just pull power from the BCM or do you have to start chasing circutry from there using the factory service manual?

I'm not clear (not like THAT'S anything that happens often)

Jim

I have a battery that drains off when parked for a few days. This is a 2003 C5. The battery is 6 months old and I have had it tested by two different shops that varify it is good. In addition, I've had the alternater tested and it is good. When checking for a drian on the battery, I removed the ground and placed a test light between the negative terminal and the cable. The light was bright. While removing fuses one at a time I soon found that fuse #25 from the fuse panel under the pasenger floor board (labled BCM) when removed the test light went out. That is as far as my old school hot rod smarts took me. any suggestions on what to do to get fix the drain issue?

When measuring the current drain, you have to wait about 1.5 to 2 minutes in order for everything to settle down (BCM, etc). After you insert your test light / meter in series with the negative battery cable sit back and wait 2 minutes. Make sure the hood light is taken out to eliminate its current drain from adding to your readings. Also, make sure the doors are closed and the vanity lights are not on as another member said.

The factory current draw should be about 23mA. If all you have is a test light, then is should go out, but you really need at least a meter that will measure current.

CG

THIS is all I could find not sure if it helps
25 Body Control Module – Ignition 1 Instrument Panel Control 10A52 Starter60A:w IRISH KELLY

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom