Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery draining; dead

napacruzerC5

Corvette
'01 TR M6, '07 MS A6
Last Sunday the battery was completely dead. Needed a jump from AAA to get started. It was an excuse to drive so I did about 30 minutes. The voltmeter in the DIC started at about 12.9. After about 15 minutes showed about 14.1. By the time I got home and shut it down showed 14.0. The following Tuesday it was dead again.

Both times the headlights came up but not on. That's how I figured something was wrong. Can that have something to do with the battery dying? Twilight sentinel is not on.

Recent mods: installed window valet about two months ago and installed a door lock cover. I know raising and lowering windows with the engine shut off would take a lot of power from the battery but would just having it installed draw any additional current?

Need some opinions before I take it to the dealer. BTW I have a 23-month old Optima red top whcih has been trouble free until now.

put a multi meter between the negative battery post and the cable and see how much draw you have. anything over a .5 amp start pulling fuses till the meter drops.make sure the hood light is pulled and wait about 30 minutes for everything to shut down

when the car is on the volt meter tells you the voltage the alternator is putting out, not the voltage of the battery. You might want to check the connection of the battery for corrosion or being a little loose. If they become semi loose the low voltage difference during charging isn't enough to cross the gap but the high voltage difference during start up is. Essntially you get a battery that will only discharge and not charge.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom