Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Because there are so few, did you buy what was on the market, or your first choice???

*89x2*

Because there are so few Callaway Corvettes out there, did you buy what was on the market at the time, or was your purchased car, your first choice???

For me, I had always wanted a red 1989 AeroBody w/ black sport leather and a six-speed like the Car& Driver test car ( 1989 # 005 ) and was lucky to have found the car twice :cool

..the second time, I bought it :w

What is your Callaway story?? :beer

I had always wanted a '91 because it was the last year and had the most stock power. There was a yellow '91 coupe (not sure if it is the same one that is down under) which I wanted but they wanted a lot for it at the time.

Then I found that Corvette Mike had a Turquoise car from an add and I was heading to the area for business so I figured that I would take a look. I had been e-mailed pictures which did not do the color justice (bad lighting). But when I saw it in person, I loved it. When I test drove it, I had to have it. :lou

'91-001 was also in the showroom as were a variety of other year CTTC's and the Yellow Pearlscent Speedster ;worship. '91-001 was black (original color) at that time and the paint had lots of swirls (the old lyme green it now wears is simply fantastic). It was also a coupe and I really wanted a convertible.

I was very pleasantly surprised after I bought to find out that it had the 450HP upgrade.

-Luigi
:cool

Because there are so few Callaway Corvettes out there, did you buy what was on the market at the time, or was your purchased car, your first choice???

Many of you have heard this story before, but it actually happened the other way around for me. I had wanted a Speedster for years, but, since there were so few around (and because I'm not a particularly patient guy when it comes to looking for cars) I started out looking for my second choice - a convertible Aerobody '91. I looked at a red '91 at Corvette Mike's and loved it, but the buyer for my '69 needed some time to put his funding together so I couldn't buy it. When the '69 sold and I called to buy the '91, my sales rep said it had sold the day before. That turned out to be a lucky break because we talked a bit more, and that's when he told me about a Speedster that might be for sale. If my buyer hadn't slowed the pace down, I would have ended up with the red car and the Speedster never would have happened.

The funny part is that, when the salesman told me about the Speedster, he wasn't sure which one it was. While I waited for info, I remember going through the list of cars on the COG site. I recall seeing the description for 007 on the list and thinking 'purple with pink interior, ugh - I hope it isn't that one.' Now that it's here, I don't think the description (or the few photos I could find of it) did it justice. I love the combination.

I remember seeing my first CTTC at a car dealership in Miami in 1988. It was a black/tan coupe loaded with dust sitting on the side of the dealership. Sat there for a year+ and the dealer shut down soon after....but that CTTC left an impression and I put a deposit that year on a custom non-turbo CC 'vette that I wouldn't take delivery of until 1992

Fast forward to 1990, I'm at CC,inc and see a Speedster being built (could have been the prototype, it was unpainted). I owned a '91 Convertible with a couple thousand miles at the time and Reeves suggested I convert into a Speedster....but I decided to convert into a regular CTTC with aero, custom paint, wheels, etc late in '91. Turned out to be a "500 Series" non-B2K and one of the last CTTC ever built...

Should have pulled the trigger and made it a Speedster!

Good stories guys - looks like everyone wants a Speedster ;) I suppose now that they will be made again (on the C6 chassis), anyone with style and a checkbook can move forward! :cool

5e_1.JPG

Here is the "long version" of how I came to own my Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette:

Also, Forum Member "TWNTRBO" now owns the dark red metallic TT that I saw driving on the road for the first time - small world! :lou

*89x2* said:
How I came to own my Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette
Ever since seeing my first sighting of a Callaway twin turbo, I knew I had to have one. I recall the first time I saw one, in person, back in June of 1988 at Rosenthal Chevrolet at the annual Corvette show held at the dealership. The car was a black coupe and was sitting just inside the showroom doors. As a young enthusiast, I took a few pictures of the car and went home with my dreams.

Over the next few months, I put my Callaway fantasy into the back of my mind, that was until I saw a dark red 87 Twin Turbo thunder past me on a local street. I turned around to follow the car to get a better glimpse of it and lucky for me, it turned into a shopping plaza. I approached the owner and asked if was indeed a Callaway Corvette. His reply was “go see for yourself”… Well the real deal it was!!! An 87 B2K, 4+3, Dark Red with graphite leather, boost gauge in the dash and the “megaphone” exhaust… I was hooked for good now!

Over the next few years, I read about all the Callaway Corvettes being featured in the various car magazines and continued to see that car around town until 1991 when the owner sold it (for a ridiculously low price of twenty thousand dollars) for another Vette. During all of this time, I was building my enthusiasm even more for those unique Corvettes.

…Fast forward to 1997.

In the summer of 1997 while attending the Callaway Reunion at the Corvettes at Carlisle show, my excitement for the Callaway cars rekindled itself. There were all sorts of exciting Callaways there and at that point, I knew it was time to start looking.
Reality cut that idea short as I got married in 1998 and soon after, we were expecting a baby.

One evening, with my wife 8 ½ months pregnant, I found an ad in a national car magazine with a 1989 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette for sale with only 1800 miles on it. I though that would be the closest thing to what I wanted new, back when I first laid eyes on that Callaway in the Rosenthal showroom. With the ad in hand and full of excitement, I went to discuss this with my wife. With her so far along with the pregnancy and with me unsure of what to expect with parenthood, I decided that the timing was not right and never asked her.

As time went on, I never got that car out of my head… Then, one day, in the fall of 2000, while surfing the internet, I found an ad for a Callaway that seemed like the car I had passed on back in 1999. I e-mailed the “seller” only to find out it was not his car and he was trying to help out the owner. Due to extenuating circumstances about the situation, he advised me he was not representing the car any more but gave me the telephone number of the person who was. I figured the car was not for sale and let it go at that.

I let it go until one day, I came across the telephone number and since I couldn’t get rid of my “Callaway Fever”, I decided to call. It turned out to be a broker for the car as the owner was recently widowed and had been overwhelmed by “well wishers” wanting to buy or sell the Callaway for her. I discussed the car for over an hour with the broker and owner and determined that the car was a pristine 3000 mile example of the car that I had lusted over for so many years. Upon reviewing the equipment and options, it was discovered that not only does this Callaway have every option you could get on a 1989 Callaway Corvette but it turned out to be the EXACT same car I had considered back in 1999. With that in mind, I approached my wife with the idea that I go to the Midwest to look at this car. She agreed and once terms were met regarding the purchase, we hooked a trailer to the truck and she, and our two year old daughter, and I headed West.

As the garage door slid open I knew the car was everything the owner said it was. I took the owner on a drive around in the Callaway and informed her that I was going to buy it. My dream was now a reality. With the help of one of her friends, we loaded the car onto the trailer and headed back east.

As a post script, I would like to note, after purchasing the Callaway, the seller related to me how her husband had always wanted an Aerobody Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette. She went on to say, how it was his third Callaway but definitely his favorite. At that point I was overcome by a great feeling… By me passing on the car when the timing wasn’t right for me, I allowed another to enjoy the car for a time and ended up with the Callaway in the end.

Along the way home, we caught a lot of attention hauling a bright red Aerobody Callaway twin turbo on an open trailer and somewhere around Illinois, my daughter said her first big word – “Corbette”.

Make it a Speedster!

I sure wish these words would come again as a optional upgrade from Reeves:

"Reeves suggested I convert into a Speedster.........Should have pulled the trigger and made it a Speedster"

I would do that in a heartbeat....Series III Speedsters for the long term Callaway supporter :)

I remember seeing my first CTTC at a car dealership in Miami in 1988. It was a black/tan coupe loaded with dust sitting on the side of the dealership. Sat there for a year+ and the dealer shut down soon after....but that CTTC left an impression and I put a deposit that year on a custom non-turbo CC 'vette that I wouldn't take delivery of until 1992

Fast forward to 1990, I'm at CC,inc and see a Speedster being built (could have been the prototype, it was unpainted). I owned a '91 Convertible with a couple thousand miles at the time and Reeves suggested I convert into a Speedster....but I decided to convert into a regular CTTC with aero, custom paint, wheels, etc late in '91. Turned out to be a "500 Series" non-B2K and one of the last CTTC ever built...

Should have pulled the trigger and made it a Speedster!

This question really made me do a quick review! :confused I had watched Callaways for several years But with two daughters in college and a couple of weddings had to wait a little longer than I wanted. Once I started looking hard, quickly realized that cars were limited and it seemed in 2003 & 2004 a large amount of TT automatics were for sale! The project car I bought in Hawaii was the right car but not first choice in color or condition! If I had known how busy I would be with other things might have waited but still haven't seen one that I fell in love with so I am glad that I bought one! Hopefully next year will be a little less hectic and I can devote more time to the Callaway!!!:D

To be honest I didn't know a whole lot about Callaway's history but when I drove up to the Callaway plant to test drive the 03 Z06 test car I had such a rush of adrenalin not all from just driving the car. Walking around the plant with Mike Vendetto impressed me the most. Just looking at the walls with all of the pictures and articles of Callaway's history was amazing. When Mike uncovered Reeve's silver C12 for me to see that gave me goosebumps. I had a smile on my face for days for the trip. I wanted to buy a Z06 but ended up getting the most amazing car,way past my dreams, `Callaway' says it all.:upthumbs

Callaway C-6

What a bunch of great stories.

I have a Callaway now. It was a stock 2006 C-6 that Callaway recently supercharged. I've known about Callaway for years so when I decided that 400HP was not enough there was only one place for me to turn. I Googled them and found their web site. I was immediately impressed with their approach to extracting more horsepower out of the LS-2. The next job was convincing my wife that supercharging an already powerful car is necessary. She only gradually found out that it cost 16K.

I'm discovering that the best part of this is that I am now a member of a small group of really neat people.

Scraffen,

Congratulations! and Welcome to the Callaway Owners Group!:upthumbs

In addition to the power and reliability that you get with your Callaway, this is a great group of people (both owners and enthusiasts). Enjoy your new ride, now how about some pics! :L

I have a new 2008 Crystal Red Metallic Coupe there for some work... :chuckle

-Luigi
:cool

I always wanted an "Ultimate Vette" :upthumbs, like most Vette owners I guess.
I use to doodle, drawing cars and D.O.H.C 427 engines on my school books brown paper covers or folders, like most of the 16 year old motorhead wanta' be's.
After reading Road and Tracks Corvette September Issue from back in 1990, the King vs Kong issue, I new some day I would have one of those cars. I loved the Callaway Aero body from day one, but I also like the idea of a high reving D.O.H.C. motor.
After 1992, I saw Callaway's SuperNatural cars and over the years even saw a few for sale, but at the time financially out of my reach. I followed all the write-ups over the years while waiting patiently for the write time.
I really came upon my car by accident while browsing through EBAY looking for a low milage ZR-1 or 1969 Yenko Camaro clone, having owned plenty of Camaro's during my teenage years. I traded my 1989 Z51, 6 speed car that I had for 12 years towards my SuperNatural and it's been pure Heaven since.
PS. I enjoy educating other car buffs about the Callaway Cars. It's surprised me how many Vette guy's don't even know that much about the Callaways. :)

Had to be #19

Had to be number 19, and I'm going to get the other year number 19s, so where are they and what to they look like?:J

It's my favorite number, my hockey number, baseball number, locker at my work.....

ANd one day I will have them all:dancenaughty

You have a good opportunity still to get C16 #19! Better start saving, they are starting to get into the double digits I bet.

I should have been clear. I only want the Twin Turbo B2K cars. They are all nice but I want the RPO B2K's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom