Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

best aftermarket carb for a stock 78 L82

S

sd pacecar

I have a stock L82 with the Q-jet. Any recommedations for an after market that will bolt on with out re-jetting? I am running hedders with a hiflow cat and mufflers.

S

sd pacecar

It crapped on me today. I went to start it this morning like usual and it flooded immediately. I managed to start it and kept my foot on the pedal. As soon as I let up on it, the engine died. I pulled the carb off and gasoline came out of the charcoal cannister line and there was a pool of gas lying on the intake runners. I had it overhauled last Nov., so I hope it is still under warranty.

motorman

Corvette
2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
charcoal

make sure you are not getting charcoal from the cannister into the float bowl as this would cause flooding. been there done that!

S

sd pacecar

I had an overhaul last November. It should still be under warranty.

K

KenSny

I had my stock QJet rebuilt, but after 8 months it still did not run right. Dropped in a Holley Street Avenger 670. Runs like a champ, more responsive, and easy to tune. Ran right out of the box, but did need to some minor adjustment. Not all engines are the same but the tweaking was minor. I also changed the intake manifold from a spreadbore to a square bore. If you don't want to do that then get a spreadbore Holley.

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
KenSny said:
I had my stock QJet rebuilt, but after 8 months it still did not run right. Dropped in a Holley Street Avenger 670. Runs like a champ, more responsive, and easy to tune. Ran right out of the box, but did need to some minor adjustment. Not all engines are the same but the tweaking was minor. I also changed the intake manifold from a spreadbore to a square bore. If you don't want to do that then get a spreadbore Holley.

How about the air cleaner? Any mods there with the Holley?

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
I replaced my Q-jet with a Carter 625cfm carb. Ran great out of the box. I have not made any real adjustments to it as of yet. Have had no problems and really like having an electric choke. I also think the smaller cfm of the Carter gives a little better throttle response than the 725cfm of the Q-jet. I guess I would give up a little on the top end, but I never really push the engine that hard anyway.

Regards,

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom