Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Rotors

kfehling

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I wanted some fresh opinions and the latest news on what others have tried. I participate in non-competitive track events and have been going through the rotors. Currently, I have some crygenically treated Brembos on my '96 CE LT1 and have about three track sessions on them. Also for these track events, I put on some PorterField competition quality brake pads and so far, the combination has been fantastic. However, my rotors have already started to crack. One shop recommended drilled rotors, but I hear they crack faster than non-drilled while others maintain that I should stick with what I have and accept the fact that I will have to buy new rotors every couple of events. Is this what others have experienced? Or are there some rotors out there that can take a little more abuse.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would love to know this one myself. I planned on getting some this summer.

If you participate in high speed track racing with heavy braking this is what you will see. Any rotors will go fast if you combine them with good pads and frequent 120->10 mph braking. Brembos are among the best ones so not much to gain there.

There is couple of things you can try to make make life easier for your rotors:
1. increase cooling, it is the exessive heat that cracks the rotors
- install cooling ducts, make sure cooling air is directed as close as possible to center of the rotors
- strip your calipers of all paint and add heat dispersing coating
2. get thicker rotors - they can take more abuse
- you might have to get bigger calipers too to make them fit

Toni

ToniH,

Thanks for the thougts.

I was having massive problems with over heating of the brakes so I added cooling ducts, the cryo rotors as described above, and competition pads. The combo works great, but I am looking for a little more rotor life. So far, I have spoken with Brian over at Vette Brakes and Products and he has similar suggestions to yours noting that a conversion to the C5 front brake package would be a big improvement due to a wider rotor (as you mentioned; for better heat dispersion) and 25% larger pads. Plus you get the added bonus of cheaper rotors. However, at $1,000 for this upgrade, that equates to a three sets of rotors for my car. Tough call. I am planning on a new C6 so I think that I will forgo this upgrade and stick with new rotors.

With that in mind, I also called the Brake Warehouse (www.brakewarehouse.net) and they suggested their heat treated, cross drilled Brembos. Same price as VB&P sport rotors. I guess the thing to do is buy one of these sets (eigther VB&P or Brake Warehouse), try them until I need a new set and then try the other brand.

One final question though and I think that I already know the answer, but, is there any way to squeeze thicker rotors into the stock calipers?

I suggest cyro'd rotors with no holes or slots. I bought some
from VBP.

You don't want stress risers in the metal of the rotors. If
you but a hole in a flat plate and pull on it, the peak stress
is 3 times what it would be with the same minimum cross-section
area and no hole.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom