Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best timing setting with Camshaft upgrade

beeturbo

Corvette
1986 4+3 pace car
I have an 86 with alluminum heads with a melling hi performance cam has the same camshaft specs as the crane 114132 .. my Factory heads are ported & polished also with polished combustion chambers as well.. Heads have been shaved about 020 the car is set at the factory 6degree setting and to me it feels like it doesnt pull as hard as it did b4 the cam ...
i was thiking that with the new cam the setting should remain the same but may be it changes can someone shed som lite on this please lol.. i also have the plugs gaped on 032 .. i was thikingin bout setting on on 8 degrees and leaving it and moving the gap back to 035. the thing is i dont want to advance the timing to hi and kill my engine cause i know that overly advanced timing may bring better performance but can also kill rod bearings.. so if any of u guys have this cam how about telling me how uve got your carsset up .. wit this cam i figured it shoud have been nite and day .. my car has the following in addion to the head and cam work! 160 Stat , Deleted cats , Hooker Aero chamber mufflers K&N air filter Accell super coil and ported & polished lower intake .

i dont want to advance the timing to hi and kill my engine cause i know that overly advanced timing may bring better performance but can also kill rod bearings..

Will only do bearings (and other things) in with detonation and the knock sensor will cut your timing out way before that takes place.
You really need to do a run with a scanner hooked up so you can see where/ if the KC is detecting knock and pulling the timing out. You then back off the advance until no timing is pulled The KC is very sensitive ; it will pulling timing on knock you can't hear.

Ultimately would be best to get custom tune with reworked spark advance tables better suited to your new cam.Could run more inital advance and less mid range ( going through 3K WOT ) which is were most knock occurs

NEED HEADERS.
You have port / polish /more valve lift but nothing out.
L98's like exh mods
Get rid of the 160 stat; only making it take longer for your engine to warm up . has no effect on running temp
Fans control that and can be reset on custom tune

i installed new plugs and set the base timing on 6 degrees and it still has pinging on hard acelleration theres a code 42.. i replaced the est module and its still reading a code 42 ... previously when back in 2001, i installed a new knock sensor and added a ground wire to the est module connector s ground wire per one of the old threads .. but now i just replaced the est module with a used on and the codeds still there and it still pings.. i cleaned the throttle body of carbon along with the intake with carb cleaner no change .. when i back the timing down to 4 degrees it does the same thing ... any advice ..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom