Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Better To Use Genuine Holley Rebuild Kits

Early this summer I bought a "Brand X" Holley 4160 rebuild kit thru E-Bay that LOOKED like it contained genuine blue "leak proof" Holley bowl gaskets. If I recall the Brand X kit cost around $31 and when I received it I quickly discovered the bowl gaskets are ordinary paper gaskets that had been colored blue to look like genuine Holley gaskets. Since the early summer rebuild I have had to re-tighten the bowl screws and the accelerator pump screws twice because of leakage so from now on I'll only buy the genuine Holley kits at around $45. I just doesn't pay to "bargain hunt" when it comes to our C3's.

Actually, Holley offers 3 different "level" of carburator kits - For four barrel applications, They have a refresh kit which is just a gasket set, a rebuild kit which is gaskets and small parts set, and then they have a trick kit, which has additional parts such as extra bowl & metering block gaskets, vacuum secondary springs, accellerator pump cams and so forth for tuning your carb. For tuning purposes, you would need a Holley jet set to go with the trick kit. The other nice thing is Holley makes all it's gaskets and small parts available, which is handy if you just need one particual part and don't want to buy a complete gasket/rebuild kit.

On the down side, if you have a 3x2 set-up, Holley only offers a two barrel rebuild kit. No two barrel refresh or trick kit. One can use part of the 4 barrel trick kit and buy the additional parts needed for tuning a set of trips.

My thoughts on Holley............................

"HOLLEY" Trusted brand of Automotive Arsonists for over 100 years!:thumb

:D

"HOLLEY" Trusted brand of Automotive Arsonists for over 100 years!:thumb

:D

I have heard that & similar comments for the 40 or so years I have been playing with Corvettes. I believe such comments may come from either bad needle & seats or accelerator pump diaphragms found in cheap rebuild kits such as what TBTR was commenting one. I never had a problem with aftermarket gaskets, but have always used Holley spec or Mopar (probably repackaged Holley parts) needle & seats, power valves & accelerator diaphragms.

If you use quality parts, your problems should be few.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom