Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Block Installed!

• Thread starter Thread starter matchframe
  • Start date Start date
M

matchframe

I finally have my Big Block Vette! All I have to do is add the rest of the Vette to the frame and engine before I can go cruising.

I pulled the motor mounts off my small block and they fit right on the Big Block. I set the block right on the frame without needing any modification. Once I get the engine complete....after a visit to the machine shop for some work, I think the only mod I will have to do to the frame is the crossmember in front of the harmonic balancer will need to be modified to make room for the pulleys.

Bill

http://home.earthlink.net/~bigdogvettes/index.html

You let that lovely floor get dirty? :D

Glad everything is going so smoothly and progressing steadily. Nice website!

Hows the epoxy floor holding up to all the abuse ? I have been thinking of putting epoxy on my garage floor but don't know how well it holds up.

Is there any special brand thats better then others. I did do my back screen room floor with epoxy a few months back but thats is a low traffic area and no one drives cars on it.

Thanks Mac! The sign of a busy garage is a dirty floor, but I do need to clean it!

The floor is holding up pretty well! It cleans up easy and shows very little wear. There are a few surface scratches showing but over all looks like new after cleaning. I just use dishwashing soap to break through the grease, then water mop it. Only thing is I have not driven on it. I understand that one thing is hard on floor paint is hot tires.

My other garage bay I painted from one of those kits, (not epoxy) and it looked good for about a year and is now peeling.

Bill

Wouldn't the correct motor mounts be better? I mean, it seems likely that there will be issues with alignment of various parts if the engine is not in the correct position...

Joe

Now is the time...without question, that you determine exactly what trans you are running and make the needed mods to the X member...etc. It is SO much more difficult to do in the car as an afterthought....as I did.

Looks great though!

Those motor mounts are definitely temporary. I just wanted to see how the block sits on the frame. Also, since I don't have an engine stand yet, I needed a place to keep the block instead of just hanging on the chain hoist.

Still working on finding the trans. I do plan to have the trans in place before the body goes back on. I really want to have a Richmond 6 speed.... but no doubt it will be a manual w/ overdrive!
I still need to do something with the carcass of the truck, and hope I can work out a deal with a salvage yard for what I have left in exchange plus $ for a 6 speed from a late model Camaro, or Firebird. I kept the 5 speed from the truck in hopes of working out a deal.

Bill

pulley setup?

Bill, what kind of a pulley setup are you going to use on the big block? When I changed from a small block to the big block I used a street and performance serpentine drive on mine, decided it was easier to go that route than spending alot of time scrounging up all the stock brackets. And it looks alot nicer too.
What has everybody that has changed to a big block used for their accessory drive?

Mike

Mike,

My original plan for the belt setup was to go with something like the March pulley system.

When I bought my 454, it was still in the original tow truck that had been wrecked. The serpentine system was spared any damage from the wreck, so right now my plan is to use that system in the Vette. It had the 100-amp alternator, power steering pump that supports the hydraboost that was also in the truck, and the A/C compressor looks to be almost identical to what I have in the Vette. Other than cleaning it all up, and maybe having the brackets powdercoated, I am going to use the serpentine setup as it came stock with the Big Block.

The aftermarket beltdrive setups looks a lot nicer than stock. I have always liked the billet aluminum pulleys and brackets. Those really set off the look of the engine!

Do you have any pics of your Big Block? I would like to see it!

Bill

stock serpentine setup

Bill I think I have a few pics of my drive setup I can e mail you. I did the big block 3 years ago and if I remember right I bought the stock serpentine brackets for a 454 in a chevy pickup...I'm thinking about a 94 or so and was going to use them in the vette. I had a 400 small block in it at the time and had already converted it over to the stock serpentine setup from a 94 pickup with a 350 engine so I have the newer power steering pump, alternator, and a sandon a/c pump with brackets and tensioner and was going to use them with the big block brackets. The 454 setup uses the long water pump and the dampner pulley was way too big and too far foreward to clear the crossmember and the brackets stood up to tall for the hood to close. If you were to cut the crossmember out and build a custom hood to clear everything you might could use the stock setup. I did buy an L-88 hood for mine so I could have more room for the air cleaner. I am using a torker intake with a holley 750 doulbe pumper carb and the new hood gives it plenty of room to clear. If you want to chat on the phone e mail me your number and I can call you( I have all those "free" weekend minutes to use..lol) I am alot better talker than a typer.

MIke

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom