Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

?big v. little: strut rod bushings?

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
The '71 roadster I just got needs rear strut rod bushings ... not a surprise. Mine have smaller 1 1/2" OD eyes. This is a street car only and is virtually all original ... however NCRS judging not in the cards ... anytime soon.

Seems up thru about '74 the rod eyes are smaller 1 1/2" OD ... about '75 the rod eyes OD increased to 1 3/4" ... older eyes have smaller bushings while newer rods have larger bushings.

For just a few bucks, I can get a good set of newer rods that also need bushings ... big or small, bushings sets for entire rear cost about $25.

I'm only guessing here ... but it seems the larger bushings might last a bit longer and/or give a bit softer ride ... really dunno?

So who's used both big & little ... what would you do? I'm gonna use only the stock OE type rods ... I'm not gonna get adjustable ones ... I'm gonna be using ES polyurethane replacement bushings. Big or Little ... whatsit gonna be ... and why?

JACK:gap

Jack,

When they changed to the larger bushings they also changed the bearing supports. The larger strut rods will bind on the '71 supports unless you do some grinding.

Mike

Stingray6974 said:
Jack,

When they changed to the larger bushings they also changed the bearing supports. The larger strut rods will bind on the '71 supports unless you do some grinding.

Mike
Mike:
I don't wanna do any grinding ... I've ordered small bushings for my existing smaller strut rods. Thanks for the info!
JACK:gap

Mike is correct that they might bind in extreme travel. You can fit them with a die grinder by adding a slight radius at the 90* point of the 2 legs. In the real world, the larger heads were the service replacemtn part for many years. The GM 1.250 heads were discontinued years ago and are now back avail in the aftermarket.Many I'm going to guess here,thousands, were installed as replacements and the garages or dealerships never gave it a second thought. Welded rods with small heads have been out as an alternative for years too. I doubt you would feel a difference between the 2.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom